Titanium (metal) and Ceramic are most common kinds of material that hair straighteners’ plates are made from. Both of them emit far-infrared heat, which dries hair from the inside out. They also generate the negative ions to neutralize (or stablize) dry hair. But there are a few differences between them (like heating mechanism), and that could be the factors you decide which one to buy, let’s find out.
|Intense heat||Metal property – better|
|Heat recovery||Metal property – better|
|Easy to clean||Better|
|For hair type||Fine, fragile, easy to manage, wavy, curly||Thick, coarse hair, wavy, curly|
Ceramic Flat Iron
According to Wikipeadia, A ceramic is an inorganic, nonmetallic[a] solid material comprising metal, nonmetal or metalloid atoms primarily held in ionic and covalent bonds. The first form of this material found dated back more than 27000 years ago. By properties of the material,non-erosive, heat conducted, it is ideal for making plates of flat irons.
- Ceramic plates are very smooth.
- Even heat distribution
- Can work for a lot of hair types
- Since your hair contains moisture, Ceramic plates may cause this evaporate and create hot stream through hair.
- Easily to break, crack if you accidentally drop them.
- Cheap ceramic flat iron have very thin layer of ceramic, which will be peeled after long time use. Avoid using this type of flat iron.
Ceramic plates are not just gentle on hair, but also the heat realeased from them. Our recommendations for best ceramic flat irons:
- Solia Tourmaline Ceramic Ion Flat Iron
- RUN AWAY FHI FLAT IRON High-end model with fully ceramic coated plates
Titanium Flat Iron
Basically Titanium is a metal, so they are very strong and very durable.
Holding Titanium flat iron you feel it is a bit lighter than Ceramic models with the same size.
The Titanium plates conducts heat the best so that it will straighten hair quickly, but potentially cause hair damage. You should use heat protection spray.
Research found out that frizz, damaged hair is over charged with positive irons, the titanium plates once heated provide abundant negative ions, which will cure or neutralize those parts on hair, bring your hair to better state.
With the same heat setting, say, 270F, your hair will receive more heat from Titanium flat ion than Ceremic ones.
If your hair is healthy (and it’s 3C or 4) and you do straightening daily, Titanium is for you.
One of the Titanium flat iron with very high heat setting is Brazilian Heat After Dark, it suits to very curly hair, especially Africa American hair and can be used for permanent hair treatments like Brazilian keratin blowout.
- Less expensive
- Stable heating
- Durable – it is okay if you accidentally drop your hair straightener
- Not corrosive
- Heated more evenly because of thermal conductivity and faster and intensed than Ceramic
- Provide ionic output – Metal produces negative ions which is good for hair
- Give hair the shinnest and most flat looking
- Metal doesn’t crack but it is scratched by metal
- The surface of Titanium plates is not smooth as Ceramic’s
- Easily to get build-up on its surface
Our recommendations for best Titanium flat irons:
1.5″ BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium
BaBylissPRO Nano is Amazon’s top selling Titanium hair straighteners. It has a four star rating with more than 1,700+ reviews
You can hold this tool for an hour without feeling they put some weight on your hand. It slim design makes it really simple for users to perform hair straightening. It can quickly set to the heating you dial. There are 50 levels, but not indicating the temperature that is a drawback. So have to rememer the level and need to spend a bit time with it for first time to figure out the ideal heat setting.
Which one should I pick? It really depends on your hair types
If your hair is easy to straighten, pick the Ceramic, otherwise, the Tianium is a better choice for those with long, thick, stubborn hair.
You also may consider the comfort and ease of use.
Whether you use Titanium or Ceramic Flat irons, they definitely cause hair damage, the more you style, the more it becomes less natural, so make sure don’t use them daily. Let your hair take a rest before they are silky straight again.
See more about other type of hair straightening flat iron. Which one do you prefer please comment below!