Long-haired cat breeds, such as Persian, Maine Coon, Birman, Balinese, etc are not as easy to take care of as cats with shorter hair. For cats with long hair, it’s an entirely different ballgame since grooming their long fur would require some assistance from their owners.
Lucky for you, some brushes are specially designed for this purpose. However, you need to consider a lot of things when looking for the best brush for long hair cats. Here are some of them:
- Decide on which type of cat brush you need—de-matting or de-shedding tool. De-matting brushes will help you remove knots and tangles on your cat’s fur, while de-shedding brushes will help you remove loose hair from your cat’s body. If you can find one, go for a brush that can function as both.
- Go with a stainless steel comb as much as possible as it’s more resistant to wear and tear.
- Ensure that the comb’s pins are rounded off at the edges so your cat won’t get hurt during the grooming process.
- Check if the comb’s handle is ergonomic for your comfort.
- If your cat’s skin is quite sensitive, choose a rubber brush to prevent skin irritation.
Best Brushes for Long-Haired Cats
Now that we’ve got that figure out let’s dive into the list of the best brushes to groom long-haired cats in the market today.
1. Ruff ‘n Ruffus Self-Cleaning Slicker Brush – Our Favourite
The Ruff ‘n Ruffus Slicker Brush is another self-cleaning brush designed to effectively and easily de-shed your cat’s loose hair. The good news is it comes with a 7.5-inch stainless steel comb, which is intended to finish, fluff, and de-matt your cat’s fur.
- It comes with almost everything you need for grooming your pet— stainless steel comb and pet nail clippers.
- The brush has retracting bristles (which you can activate by pushing the self-cleaning button), so you can easily remove the collected hair from the brush.
- The teeth are not just rounded— they even come with rubber ends for your cat’s safety.
- The 7.5-inch de-matting brush is wide so that you can cover more surface faster.
- The nail clippers have lots of safety features.
- The de-matting brush is difficult to handle.
- The teeth of the de-matting brush are too big.
The Chirpy Pets Cat Brush is here to save you from your cat’s shedding issues! This de-shedding tool promises to remove up to 90% of your pet’s shedding fur! The comb’s teeth’ stainless steel construction is also a bonus point as it will surely last for long!
- The teeth of the comb are made of 4-inch stainless steel.
- It also features an easy-to-grip handle.
- The brush comes with a protective cover.
- The teeth are rustproof.
- The comb is detachable, so you can easily remove the collected hair.
- The teeth tend to pull the cat’s fur.
- The size is a bit difficult to use for bigger cats.
If you’re looking for a multifunctional cat brush, the Maxpower Planet Grooming Brush may just be what you need. This brush has a dual-sided design with 9 de-matting teeth on one side and 17 de-shedding and thinning teeth on the other side. Since it combines two functions in one brush, you can groom your cat easier and faster, no matter how long his hair is!
- The brush comes in two colors—blue and pink.
- The teeth have rounded ends, so those won’t scratch your cat’s hair.
- It also has a non-slip and comfortable handle.
- The company claims that this brush can reduce your cat’s shedding by up to 95%!
- It comes in different sizes.
- Using this in removing mats is a bit painful to the cat.
- This won’t work well on thick hair.
To help you remove your cat’s loose hair in the easiest and safest way possible—this is the Furminator de-shedding brush’s goal. This brush is specially designed to remove hair from cats who weigh more than 10 pounds and have hair that’s longer than 2 inches.
- It has long stainless steel teeth that can easily reach your cat’s topcoat.
- At the back of the brush, you can find an ejector button that releases the hair so you can get rid of it with ease.
- The rubber handle is designed for your comfort.
- The brush has a protective cover.
- This works on sensitive cats.
- The brush may be too small for big hands.
- The teeth are too pointy.
- It tends to pull hair too much.
The MIU Color Grooming Brush is another dual-sided cat brush you would want to have in your grooming arsenal. The teeth have a no scratch and no pain design, which features sharp enough teeth to collect the loose hair and rounded edges that are safe for cats with sensitive skin.
- The outside teeth are round and gentle and perfect for removing mats.
- The inside teeth are sharp enough to cut the toughest mats.
- This suits cats of all sizes.
- The handle has a soft grip for your comfort.
- The stainless steel teeth last long.
- The teeth get dull quickly.
- The hair is difficult to remove from the teeth.
When it comes to build quality, nothing can compare to this grooming brush from Thunderpaws. The brush features 4-inch stainless steel teeth that can cut through even the most stubborn of mats. The teeth are designed to reduce up to 95% of shedding.
- This has non-slip rubber handles for your convenience.
- The purchase of this brush comes with a 90-day moneyback guarantee.
- It has an easy-release button for an easy collection of hair.
- The handle has an eyelet for easy storage.
- The teeth come with a protective cover for durability.
- This won’t work well on double coats.
- The 4-inch teeth may be too harsh for thin coats.
- The outer teeth of the comb don’t collect hair well.
The Pat Your Pet Undercoat Rake is a multifunctional cat brush with 9 de-matting teeth on one side and 17 de-shedding teeth on the other. This brush is perfectly sized for de-matting and de-shedding all types and lengths of hair and making grooming as fast as possible.
- The brush’s stainless steel teeth are rustproof.
- This can be used for cats with medium to long coat.
- It has rounded teeth to ensure that your cat won’t be scratched.
- The teeth are just slightly sharpened for your pet’s safety.
- The teeth pull the cat’s hair.
- It doesn’t work well on fine hair.
The GoPets Professional Slicker Brush is here to make sure that you can remove all the mats and loose hair from your pet’s fur. Comfortable, strong, and durable—these are the best words to describe this brush!
- The handle has a silicone gel grip that prevents wrist strain and offers better control.
- Their large brush has a high density of 672 bristles that can help you get through even the thickest coats.
- It has a retractable design so you can remove the collected hair easily.
- The bristles are 4 inches long to be used for cats with long and thick hair.
- The long bristles may not be suitable for cats with thin hair.
- The gel handle leaves a weird smell on the hands during the first few uses.
The SleekEZ Undercoat Brush claims to be the world’s #1 de-shedding tool, and it’s all because of their unique and patented wave pattern blade that’s constructed to brush away loose hair and fur without any pain! With its unique design, the brush’s teeth’ blade will collect and push the hair to the ground for later cleanup.
- There’s no hassle of removing the collected hair in between the brush’s teeth.
- This also works in removing hair from carpets, furniture, and many more.
- The handle is made of durable and stylish premium-grade poplar wood.
- The handle’s oval design offers optimum grip.
- It comes in different sizes.
- The brush will cut your cat’s hair if you apply too much pressure.
- The handle may be too bulky for small hands.
This is the most unique-looking brush on this list, but it features an all-rubber construction that’s perfect for cats with sensitive skin. It has rubber bristles that can remove hair gently and safely and rubber grips so you can comfortably hold it during the grooming process.
- This brush has the safest design of them all.
- The product comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
- The rubber bristles will also collect dust and lose fur from your pet.
- You can also use this to help soap penetrate better your dog’s hair root during bath time.
- The rubberized grip provides better control.
- The bristles are a bit hard and stiff.
- The brush is not recommended for smaller cats.
A good brush for long hair cats will make pet grooming a whole lot easier. Unfortunately, finding the best cat brush is not an easy feat. That’s why we’re here to help you out!
Our recommendation for the best brush for long hair cats is the Ruff ‘N Ruffus Self-Cleaning Slicker Brush as it already comes in a complete grooming package, so it can make the grooming process a lot easier!