Hooded hair dryers are the ones you see on salon scenes on TV. Yes, it’s that big circular thingy over the clients’ heads in those old TV shows.
So what does it do? Besides hair drying, a hooded hair dryer can also be used for hair treatments and deep conditioning.
You may think, “why would I need to have my own hooded hairdryer?”
Well, the first benefit is that it’s much easier to use than the handheld hair dryers. Handheld dryers can feel heavy after a while and can easily wear out your arm. Hooded hair dryers allow your hands to be free, so you can do other things while dying your hair.
Another is the even dispersion of heat over your hair. It’s useful in hair drying and treatments. It accelerates air drying, from 2-8 hours to only 30 minutes.
Here we have compiled a list of the best hooded dryers for you to check.
|Conair 1875 Watt Pro Style Bonnet Ionic Hair Dryer||See Price|
|Nova Microdermabrasion Professional Hooded Floor Hair Dryer||See Price|
|Granteva Bonnet Hood Hair Dryer Attachment||See Price|
|Mifine Bonnet Hood Hair Dryer||See Price|
|Revlon Ionic Hard Bonnet Hair Dryer||See Price|
Best Hooded Hair Dryer for Natural Hair
To find the best hooded hair dryer for natural hair, here are some things you should keep in mind:
- The higher the wattage, the faster they’ll be able to dry your hair.
- Extreme heat can actually damage your hair. So it’s better if the hairdryer has different heat settings so that it could be more suited to your hair type.
Have a look at our detailed review of the 7 best hooded dryers for black hair texture.
1. Conair Pro Style Hooded Bonnet Hair Dryer – Our Top Pick
The Conair Pro Style Hooded Bonnet Hair Dryer is the hairdryer to choose if you want the ultimate “salon drying at home” experience. This hair dryer packs on an 1875-watt power for quick hair drying. It features a large hood with adjustable height. It can be folded for easy storage and includes a carry handle for portability. It has 2 heat/speed settings and an even airflow distribution.
- With its carrying handle and compact folded size, it’s perfect for traveling.
- It has an adjustable height, so it’s suitable for people of different heights.
- It has a large hood that can accommodate big rollers.
- There are only two heat settings.
- It produces too much noise.
You choose Nova Microdermabrasion Professional Hooded Floor Hair Dryer if you’re looking for a dryer for your salon. This 1300-watt equipment is packed with power and features a temperature setting that can be adjusted from 0 to 75 degrees Celsius. It has a swivel hood with a hinged door. The front visor and the bonnet are adjustable, accommodating even the largest of rollers.
- It has a floor stand, so you don’t have to look for a table to place it upon.
- The dryer’s height can be adjusted.
- It has an adjustable temperature from 0-75 degrees celsius.
- It needs to be preheated 30-40 minutes before use.
- It sucks the hair instead of blowing down.
If you already have a hairdryer at home, then Granteva Bonnet Hood Hair Dryer Attachment might be the product for you. It’s a soft bonnet type that you can hook up to your handheld hairdryer. The material is like a windbreaker material, waterproof, and very lightweight. It’s very adjustable—it has a drawstring to fit around your head.
- It’s travel-friendly. You can fold it and place it with your clothes in the luggage.
- With a drawstring to fit around your head, this product is one-size-fits-all.
- The dryer is waterproof.
- It’s just an attachment. It would be best if you bought a hairdryer on top of buying this one as well.
- It doesn’t have a lot of holes—you may end up with some frizz.
- The 2000 Watt BaBylissPRO Hard Hat Ionic Dryer uses Ionic Technology for shinier hair while reducing frizz. Features an auxiliary input that connects to...
- This hard hat hair dryer has 2 speed & 3 temperature settings, adjustable height, & a built-in diffuser.
- Great for all hair types including thick & coarse hair, this hard hat dryer is a great addition to any salon.
When you say innovative, the first hair dryer that comes to mind would be Babyliss Pro Ionic Hooded Hair Dryer. As a hairdryer, this equipment packs on with a 2000-watt power that allows faster drying. It has a 2 speed, 3 heat setting with a built-in diffuser. And to top it off, it has a built-in speaker that you can plug into! You connect your phone or player (if you still have those), and listen to music while you dry your hair.
- You can listen to music. It can be connected to any smartphone with an audio jack.
- It has a built-in diffuser.
- It’s quieter than your typical hooded hairdryer.
- The hood is small—it doesn’t fit jumbo rollers inside.
- It’s expensive. Compared to the other we’ve recommended on this list, this is on the pricier side.
- The base is huge, good for balance but takes up a lot of space.
Another soft hood hairdryer type is the Mifine Bonnet Hood Hair Dryer. This dryer attachment includes well-planned holes to maximize heat circulation, drying your hair evenly and quickly. It has a stretchable hose collar to fit any mouth size of the handheld dryer.
- This fits all standard-sized handheld dryers.
- It has an adjustable chin strap and drawstring closure to get the perfect fit.
- Its wide hose size delivers optimum airflow.
- It has a small built—if you’re using curlers/rollers, it may not fit inside.
- It takes a long time for your hair to dry.
Salon Sundry Professional Bonnet Style Hood Hair Dryer is our cheapest stand hooded hair dryer on this list. The hood is made from durable acrylic. The manufacturer claims to deliver a product that is fast, quiet, and evenly circulates heat. It has an adjustable temperature that can be set up to 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- It’s the cheapest on our list of stand hooded hair dryers.
- The temperature is adjustable, up to 165 degrees Fahrenheit (approx. 73 degrees celsius)
- It comes with a timer that you can set for up to 60 minutes.
- The timer has a ticking noise. It can “tick” you off. Pun intended.
- It’s big and bulky.
- It has no fan adjustment.
Want another choice for a table-top hard hooded hairdryer? Here’s Revlon Ionic Hard Bonnet Hair Dryer. This 1875W machine has three heat settings and utilizes ionic technology. The ions emitted reduce frizz, leaving your natural hair, straight or curly, shine, and even drying. It also has a compact design, which makes for easy storage and travel-friendly.
- It has ionic technology, reducing frizz, leaving your hair shiny and smooth.
- The dryer has a compartment where you can neatly store its cord.
- It has a three-heat setting, high, medium, and low.
- The height isn’t adjustable.
- The dryer’s material isn’t that durable—the plastic is pliable.
In this list, we’ve given you some of the best hooded hair dryers for natural hair. It includes almost all types of hair dryer– from hair dryer attachments to full-on salon experience stand hard hooded hairdryer.
If you’re looking for a personal hooded hairdryer, we recommend the Conair Pro Style Hooded Bonnet Hair Dryer. Its 1875W power can go toe-to-toe with professional salon ones—perfect for home use!
Since you can fold it into a compact upside-down bucket and comes with a handle, storage won’t be an issue. If you’re looking for some deep conditioning, DIY hair treatment, this is highly recommended!