When it comes to buying hair dryers, the typical advice that you’ll receive is to avoid the low wattage hair dryers and go for ones that have high wattage. This is because high wattage hair dryers rely on air instead of heat in drying the hair.
However, there are some instances when you may want to get low wattage hair dryers. These are the best options for you if:
- you want to save energy. The lower the wattage of the dryer, the less power it consumes.
- you travel a lot. If you usually stay in hotels, a low wattage dryer is your safest option if you’re not familiar with the recommended wattage in the place that you’re staying.
But what about the amount of heat that it gives? Wouldn’t that damage your hair? The secret is to find low watt dryers with certain technologies that can protect your hair from heat or reduce the drying time to minimize heat exposure. These include Tourmaline Ceramic Technology, Ionic Technology, and many more.
|Top||BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium Travel Dryer||Best Travel Dryer||See Price|
|Top||Dyson Supersonic Hair Dryer||Best Overall||See Price|
|Top||Conair miniPRO Tourmaline Ceramic Travel Hair Dryer||Best Frizz-Fighting Dryer||See Price|
|Top||REVLON One-Step Hair Dryer And Volumizer Hot Air Brush||Best One-Step Air Brush||See Price|
|Top||BaBylissPRO TT Tourmaline Titanium Travel Dryer||Best Lightweight Hair Dryer||See Price|
|Top||Panasonic Low-Noise IONITY Hair Dryer||Best for Low Noise||See Price|
Best Low Wattage Hair Dryers
Here are 6 of the best low wattage hair dryers that you can choose from:
With its ultra-lightweight design and compact size, the BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium is the ultimate travel dryer. Designed especially for traveling, this dryer features a foldable handle and a dual voltage design so you can use it wherever you go. Despite its small size, this dryer is considered one of the most powerful low wattage dryers since it has 1000 watts.
- This has Nano Titanium and Ionic Technology, which will allow you to dry your hair faster with minimal frizz.
- The dryer has 2 speed and heat settings for styling versatility.
- It also comes with a portable stand and a removable filter.
- This is recommended for all hair types, even thick and coarse hair.
- Its technology keeps hair shiny and smooth.
- The company has poor customer support.
- The back air intake catches hair.
Not all low wattage hair dryers are low tech. The Dyson Supersonic Hair Dryer is one fantastic proof. With its 1600 wattage, it emits low heat, but it can dry your hair faster. Not only that, it has a technology that monitors the air temperature 20 times every second to keep the temperature under control.
- The dryer’s digital motor V9 works with Air Multiplier Technology in delivering a high-velocity jet of air for a fast and precise drying experience.
- This is equipped with intelligent temperature control to prevent heat damage.
- It comes with magnetic styling attachments that you can adjust and replace easily.
- The dryer has 3 speed and 4 heat settings, and a cold shot button to seal in your hairstyle.
- The dryer has three attachments—diffuser, styling concentrator, and smoothing nozzle.
- This is not as durable as other people think it will be.
- Some people said it keeps shutting down during the drying process.
- This is the most expensive hair dryer on the list.
This hair dryer is small but terrible as it has a wattage of 1200. The dryer is known for its frizz-fighting design, which features a Tourmaline Ceramic Technology which protects the hair from heat, keeping it shiny and frizz-free.
- This includes a concentrator, which is perfect for precise styling.
- It comes with a 5-foot cord so you can freely move around while drying your hair.
- Its handle is also foldable, so you can easily store it in your room or luggage.
- It’s a dual voltage, which is perfect for traveling.
- The entire casing of the dryer has a velvet touch, which promotes comfortable styling.
- The control buttons are in the handle, so there’s a chance that you’ll accidentally press them while holding the dryer.
- The dryer tends to overheat.
- The low heat setting is not enough to dry hair.
If you’re on the lookout for a travel dryer, the Revlon One-Step Air Brush is a good choice as it combines the functions of a brush and a hairdryer in one lightweight and compact device. This is perfect for drying and boosting your hair’s volume at the same time!
- The brush has a unique oval barrel that will allow you to straighten and boost your hair volume.
- It features tufted bristles and nylon pin that work together in detangling and controlling your hair strands.
- The brush has the ETL Certification seal, which indicates that its design meets U.S. Safety requirements.
- The brush comes with a cool tip to prevent scalding.
- It has advanced ionic technology which delivers 30% less frizz.
- The air it emits is too hot.
- The oval-shaped barrel might be too thick for short to medium hair.
The BaBylissPRO TT Travel Dryer comes with the Tourmaline Titanium Technology, which emits ions that keeps the hair shiny and eliminates static at the same time. As a result, you end up with smooth, perfectly styled, and shiny hair.
- This has dual voltage and folding handles, which are great features to have when traveling.
- It comes with a concentrator nozzle for precise styling.
- The dryer features an eye-catching red color.
- It’s also extremely lightweight.
- Its Titanium coating ensures that the dryer will deliver even heat.
- The dryer breaks easily.
- The air intake sucks in the hair.
The Panasonic Hair Dryer is here to offer a quiet and efficient hair drying experience. This extremely quiet and lightweight dryer uses the negative ion-generation method, which dries hair from the inside out, minimizing the drying time and reducing heat exposure in the process.
- The dryer comes in a muted neutral brown shade that’s beautiful to look at.
- The negative ion technology also eliminates static and hair frizz.
- This comes with an ergonomic and foldable handle.
- You can switch from 2 stages of wattage—600 watts and 1200 watts—so you can save more energy.
- This requires a transformer or plug adaptor when used in countries other than Japan.
- The manuals are in Japanese too.
- This doesn’t include any attachments.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to choose a low wattage hair dryer?
Select a hairdryer with the following features:
- Keep in mind the size of the travel hair dryer. Large dryers take up space, and if you travel, this is not ideal. Select a dryer with a small coil. They are comfortable and easy to handle.
- For traveling, select a blow dryer with a dual voltage setting. If you don’t, it may not work properly or it may not work at all. A quiet hair dryer is also nice as it won’t disturb your neighbors. A mini hair dryer works best as well as it takes up very little space.
- Use a ceramic hair dryer with a negative ion, an ionic hair dryer, or one with tourmaline ceramic technology to prevent heat damage and moisture loss.
How are low-wattage hair dryers useful?
A high wattage hair dryer uses more energy than one with low wattage. It is like spending additional money over low-wattage dryers in your household unknowingly. Not only are you paying for the hair dryer, but also paying for it through your utility bill as well.
They are useful because you can save money by using them, and they travel well. However, the only drawback is that drying your hair may take additional time but will do less damage.
When should one use a low watt hair dryer?
A low wattage hairdryer should be used if you want to save money on electricity as they use less energy, and if you travel.
Since a low wattage hairdryer uses less energy, it takes more dry time. While this may seem bad, it is not. It saves on the damage done to hair because it isn’t as hot. So, for chemically treated hair, damaged hair, hair with frizz, or dry hair, this may be a good option for you.
If you travel, you can face drying problems in your hotel room. Low wattage dryers are lightweight, are safe to use, and easily fit in bags.
We believe that multifunctional styling devices are always the best options since they allow you to save not just on money but also on space and time. With that said, our pick from the best low wattage hair dryers is the Revlon One-Step Hot Air Brush as its design promotes an efficient hairstyling experience.