Curling irons are great – that’s for sure. They’re effective, create beautiful curls when used correctly and are simple to use. However, curling irons just aren’t for everyone. Whether it’s the need for a protective glove because high heat is so close to your hand, or the clamp causing creases and damage to the hair strands, some women are in search of better options to achieve the same great curl. Luckily, there’s an answer to this problem – curling brush irons.
Curling brush iron? May sound confusing, right? But it’s actually quite simple. Picture one of those round brushes used for voluminous blow drying combined with a traditional curling iron, and there you have it! It’s a pretty cool device that creates bouncy curls with minimal effort. Still not convinced you should give a hot curling brush iron a try? Think about this:
- The bristles of a curling brush iron remove any need for a clamp. Whereas many curling iron clamps may be too harsh and leave creases, while curling wands have no clamps and might make it difficult to keep hair in place while curling, curling brush irons have gentle bristles that keep hair in place without any annoying creasing or damage.
- Bristles on these irons are often resistant to heat, and since they provide a safe medium between your hand and the direct heat of the barrel, you’re much less likely to get burned than with a curling iron or curling wand. Even better – there’s no need to use a protective glove…unless you really want to for added security, of course!
- The volume that round brushes create is unmatched! This brush not only delivers body and bounce, but because the hair passes through the bristles while curling, it leaves the final product smooth, soft and lightweight. It’s like combining the benefits of a blowout with a great curling iron. Can you really ask for more?
Many curling brush irons use larger silicone bristles that don’t look much like traditional round brushes with small bristles, but if you have fine hair or shorter hair, there are also great curling brush irons on the market that hold this traditional look. Let’s take a look at the cream of the crop when it comes to the five best hot curling brush irons available today.
1CHI Amplitude Tourmaline Ceramic Curling Brush Iron
Perfect for creating big, juicy curls with lots of volume and movement, this curling brush iron by CHI has a tourmaline and ceramic blend as a base. Thanks to these materials, frizzy hair can be a thing of the past. The iron heats evenly to prevent heat damage to your precious tresses, and erases all static to leave hair hydrated, lush and silky.
But be careful! This brush, like most other curling brush irons, is not to be used on wet hair under any circumstances. This will not only damage the iron itself, but also lead to breakage and split ends in your own hair. To avoid this, only use when your hair is dry. It isn’t a blow-dryer – it’s a curling tool! Wet or damp, keep it away from this iron.
2Babyliss PRO Ceramic Hot Brush Iron
This iron is a hot ceramic-based brush intended, as stated before, for use on dry hair only. It’s great for all hair lengths, but especially for short hair. Short-haired girls know the struggle of finding the right curling tool all too well. The barrel is either unrealistically large for your length or far too small to create the curl size you’re going for. The Babyliss takes away all of the stress associated with finding the ideal iron with the Ceramic Hot Brush. From fully defined curls to looser waves, any style or size or curl is possible with this professional iron.
In terms of ease of use, this curling brush iron is comfy to hold thanks to the handle, which provides a good grip. This gives you better leverage when curling your hair – optimal control and confidence make for a much better curling session. With this iron, the heat is only on the ceramic barrel and the bristles are cool, which means that you won’t be in danger of hurting yourself.
3Babyliss Nano Titanium Omni Styler Hot Curling Brush Iron, Straightener
This titanium-based curling brush iron is not just sturdy and durable, but effective. It certainly stands up to all of the hype surrounding it, as it delivers spectacularly good results on both definition and volume depending on which one you prefer.
The design of this iron is a little bit different from the others, though. Instead of being similar to a cross between a round brush and a curling iron, it’s much more similar to a cross between a flat iron and a styling comb. Nonetheless, it provides a smooth finish and works great on all hair types, making it one of the most coveted curling brush irons among women of all lifestyles. Long or short, thick or fine, straight or kinky, beautiful curls are right around the corner with the Omni Styler.
4Conair Half-Round Silicone Hot Curling Brush Iron
Conair, one of the more notable names when it comes to styling tools, strikes gold again with the Silicone Hot Brush. As its name suggests, the bristles of this curling brush iron are coated with silicone. This allows the Hot Brush to conduct heat optimally without drying out or burning hair. Less breakage is always a plus, as you’re going to want to keep as much of your hair on your head as possible.
The Silicone Hot Brush also boasts ionic technology for less frizz and static, giving you that salon-fresh finish that you crave. The iron is easy to control, with a 30-second heat up waiting time that helps you to get from start to finish much more quickly. Your curls will last even in heat and humidity. You won’t even have to worry about restyling your hair for days! That’s how effective this iron is. Give it a try and see for yourself!
5Helen of Troy Professional Hot Curling Brush Iron
Big, glamourous curls? Thick hair? Long hair? Volume? Body, and lots of it?
If any of these resonate with you, then you might want to pay attention. With a catchy name and a performance that stands up to expectations, the Helen of Troy Brush Iron is an affordable curling brush iron with a great reputation. Don’t be doubtful of its two heat settings – this brush works extremely well.
It’s most praised for its results on medium-length to long hair, but that doesn’t mean that short haired-women are left out! It can be used for a slight wave or simply to add a bit more body and volume to your short hair. Sometimes, a little bit of volume is all you need to take your look from average all the way to amazing.
Before choosing the right hot curling brush iron for you, there are quite a few things you need to keep in mind before making a choice.
- Your hair’s length. If you have short hair and you want round curls or tight curls, a curling brush iron with a large barrel isn’t going to give you the look you are after. Similarly, if your hair is long and you want large curls or beach waves, a tiny barrel is going to make your curling session much more difficult than it needs to be, and you won’t get the results you want anyway!
- Your hair’s texture. One thing is for sure – all curling brush irons are not created the same. What may work for straight or wavy hair can be futile for curly, coily and kinky hair that has a lot more texture to it. You don’t want an iron that causes you to use too much heat to get good results, so choose wisely! If possible, consult with a sales rep before you buy! It can make the world of a difference to your outcome.
- Your budget. This should be a no-brainer, but believe it when we say that there is a good hot curling brush iron at every price point, whether low, high or medium. Do the proper research and don’t just buy the first iron you come across. Your pockets will thank you for it!
Keeping all of the above in mind, stepping into the world of curling brush irons is like a dream come true. It’s truly an exciting experience once you get the hang of it, and like many other women before you, you may even find that you prefer these nifty tools to the ones you’ve always been used to.