For most women, the best way to tame coarse hair is by using a hair relaxer. Hair relaxers were developed to divide or break down the disulfide bonds in our hair’s cortex layer. By doing so, these can straighten curly and coarse hair.
However, it can be challenging to find the best relaxers for coarse hair as some relaxers tend to cause more harm than good. This is the reason why we decided to write this buying guide.
Best Hair Relaxers for Coarse Hair
Before we dive into the best relaxers for coarse hair, let’s talk about the considerations you should keep in mind first. These are as follows:
If you have regular hair, choose a no-lye relaxer as its pH is nearer to our hair’s pH level so it will do less damage. However, this tends to promote calcium build-up. To combat this, use the relaxer with a clarifying shampoo.
- If you have a sensitive scalp, choose a relaxer that contains natural ingredients like aloe vera, chamomile, or sage that can soothe and minimize scalp irritation.
- Since you have coarse hair, choose a hair relaxer with super strength.
With that covered, it’s time for us to explore the different relaxers for coarse hair that you can find in the market. Here they are:
SoftSheen—Carson Hair Relaxer is a No-lye relaxer that promises to preserve all 5 signs of healthy hair—moisture, strength, softness, shine, and body. It contains shea butter which can soften and tame coarse hair.
- This comes in two strengths—normal and super strength.
- It also has Jojoba Oil and avocado oils that can help maintain hair body.
- The relaxer comes with a post-treatment that is infused with proteins that maintain hair strength.
- It also includes a recovery shine cream that’s infused with coconut oils.
- The Recharge Moisture Mask comes with castor oil to prevent hair dryness.
- It will take you too long to wash out the relaxer.
- This may strip off hair color.
- The relaxer is too thick and hard to distribute on the hair.
This is another hair relaxer from SoftSheen Carson, and this one is known for its extreme conditioning effects. This is because it’s infused with coconut oil and strengthening ceramide. It also comes with whipped oil moisturizer, which delivers 90% less breakage.
- This only takes 6 steps to relax your hair.
- It comes in a cream formulation for easy use.
- This doesn’t contain lye.
- It’s affordable.
- This is infused with patented strengthening ceramide.
- This isn’t recommended for bleached and colored hair.
- It’s difficult to mix the activator with the cream evenly.
The ORS Olive Oil Relaxer Kit is a type of relaxer specially designed for targeted touch-ups. This is the best option you have if you want to straighten a small section of your hair like the edges of your hair or the hair in your side and back.
- This is free of dairy.
- It’s recommended for all hair textures.
- This is infused with olive oil which protects hair from damage.
- The rich crème formula ensures easy application.
- This comes with shampoo and conditioner.
- One sachet does not have enough content to straighten the entire hair.
- This only has a few reviews.
This no base crème hair relaxer is one of the easiest relaxers to use as it only requires one step. If you’re in a hurry, this is one of the best options that you can use.
- This was developed for use by licensed cosmetologists.
- The relaxer is infused with DNA and protein to strengthen and nourish the hair.
- The relaxer comes in a durable plastic tub packaging.
- It comes in a super-strength formulation.
- This contains lye.
- It’s difficult to remove from the hair.
The Revlon Professional Relaxer is a no-base formula that’s specially designed for coarse hair. This conditioning cream is fast and easy to use so you can straighten your coarse hair no matter how busy you are!
- This removes hair frizz.
- You only need to leave this in your hair for a few minutes.
- No mixing needed.
- The effects last long.
- This contains lye and other strong chemicals.
- The new formulation is not as effective as the original.
If you’re worried about dry hair, the Motions Classic Relaxer formula is a great product to check out. This formulation contains a good blend of emollients and moisturizing ingredients that can prevent hair dryness.
- It contains coconut oil which deeply conditions and moisturizes the hair.
- The formula also includes Argan oil which keeps hair shiny.
- This also has shea butter which protects and strengthens hair.
- The use of this formula no longer requires mixing.
- It’s affordable.
- This is not readily available in beauty stores.
- It leaves a strong smell that lasts for days.
- The formulation may be too strong for the skin, so you need to wear gloves.
The Phyto Specific Index 2 Botanical Relaxer is an award-winning no-lye relaxer with carefully chosen naturally derived ingredients that can preserve hair strength and elasticity. Its egg and soy-based formula are odorless and suitable for sensitive scalps.
- Its formulation is free from parabens, talc, silicones, phthalates, and many more.
- This is also cruelty-free.
- The relaxer has received various beauty awards from 2017 Instyle Best beauty Awards, Marie Claire, Allure, Elle, Star People Products, and many more.
- It contains soybean extracts that restructure hair shafts so you can enjoy straighter hair for longer.
- It also has wheat proteins which strengthen and repair hair strands.
- Some of the products contain alcohol which may dry the hair.
- It also contains artificial colorants.
If you’re afraid of the burning sensation that is commonly felt with some relaxers’ application, you may want to try the Hawaiian Relaxer. This formulation has protective oil blends that coat the scalp and prevent it from burning.
- This contains keratins and vitamins for nourished and stronger hair.
- The company offers 100% satisfaction moneyback guarantee to buyers.
- This is made in USA.
- It’s manufactured in a facility that strictly follows good manufacturing practices (GMP).
- The packaging breaks easily.
- This may cause hair breakage.
The effects of a hair relaxer may vary from one person to another. That’s why you must perform a strand test first before you use to apply the relaxer on your entire hair.
To minimize the damaging effects of hair relaxer, the best thing you can do is choose one with an all-natural formulation like the Phyto Specific Index 2 Botanical Relaxer. Aside from having no harsh chemicals, this has won many awards too, so you’re sure that it has already been tried and tested.