Whether you got your gray hair naturally or through color treatments, there’s one thing that you’ll realize— gray hair is not that easy to take care of. This is most especially true since it tends to have a brittle, frizzy, and dry texture. Not only that, it tends to have a brassy to yellowish tone as well.
Lucky for you, there’s one hair product that can help you style and maintain gray hair– a conditioner. This hair product works by forming a moisture barrier on the surface of your hair. This doesn’t just keep the hair looking healthy and hydrated—it gets rid of the yellow tones as well.
However, you can only reap these benefits if you choose a good conditioner for gray hair. We’ve done all the research and put together this list of top conditioners to make it easier for you to choose.
|Top Top||Matrix Total Results So Silver Conditioner||Best for Coarse Hair||See Price|
|Top Top||Luseta Purple Shampoo and Conditioner Set||Runner-Up||See Price|
|Top Top||Joico Color Balance Purple Conditioner||Best Budget Conditioner||See Price|
|Top Top||Clairol Shine Shampoo and Conditioner||Best Overall||See Price|
|Top Top||GBG Purple Conditioner||#1 Editor's Choice||See Price|
|Top Top||Redken Protective Conditioner||Best for Dry Hair||See Price|
Best Conditioners for Gray Hair
Here are some of the things you should look for:
- The best conditioner for gray hair contains silver, blue, or violet pigment-depositing formula to prevent the formation of brassy to yellow shades.
- Avoid conditioners with sulfates, parabens, and other harmful chemicals as these can dry out your hair even more.
If you wish to know what the best conditioner for gray hair is, read this review!
1. GBG Purple Conditioner – Our Top Pick
The claim of the CBG Purple Conditioner is quite impossible—it can brighten locks and make it shine like a mirror in just 3 minutes! They also claim to be a tremendous anti-frizz purple toner as it contains natural cationic polymers that offer complete static control. Finally, it also provides thermal protection—all thanks to its horsetail extract, calming malt flower, lemon peel, and burdock extract.
- It comes with a 100% moneyback guarantee.
- The conditioner contains natural and organic ingredients.
- It contains advanced UV protective photo stabilizers that can protect your hair from UV rays.
- It also fights split ends, frizz, and hair breakage.
- You can see its effects within 2 to 5 minutes.
- It’s not as moisturizing as it claims to be.
- This is pricey.
2. Matrix Total Results So Silver Conditioner
The Matrix Total Results So Silver Conditioner is recommended for chemically treated hair as it delivers four benefits—repairs and conditions, hydrates dry and porous hair, enhances shine, and locks in neutralization. It claims to have the right blend of neutralizing pigments designed to neutralize gold and yellow tones.
- The conditioner is recommended for platinum, blonde, and gray.
- It has targeted nutrition technology that can nourish and hydrate porous and dry hair.
- It can tame hair coarseness and dryness.
- This leaves stains on the hands.
- It’s expensive.
- The conditioner has a strong smell.
3. Luseta Purple Shampoo and Conditioner
The Luseta Purple Shampoo and Conditioner is a combination that’s recommended by hair professionals. The products work together to neutralize the acids in the air to prevent the development of brassy undertones. Its rich neutralization formula is the reason why it’s perfect for gray hair.
- It doesn’t contain parabens, gluten, and sulfates.
- The conditioner has a pH of 4.5 to 5.5, so it’s gentle on the hair.
- It’s infused with coconut oil to hydrate and moisturize hair.
- The conditioner has an environmental-friendly, sulfate-free, and cruelty-free formulation.
- This can be drying to specific hair types.
- This is expensive too.
4. Joico Color Balance Conditioner
Claiming to a yellow-mellower conditioner, the Joico Color Balance is formulated to banish yellowish shades on gray hair. More than that, it can also maintain hair vibrancy. It also claims to leave your hair soft, manageable, and shiny.
- A multi-spectrum defense complex includes UV protection and Green Tea Extracts to maintain gray hair color.
- The conditioner also contains Bio-advanced Peptide Complex, which can help repair dry and damaged hair from the inside out.
- It helps preserve hair vibrancy.
- The color pigments may cause dryness and brittleness.
- It may leave hair heavy and waxy.
5. Clairol Shine Shampoo and Conditioner
The Clairol Shine Shampoo and Conditioner is packed with emollients, color refreshers, and emollients that can brighten gray hair and revives faded highlights. Additionally, this combo can tone down the unwanted brassiness in your colored hair.
- Both products are affordable.
- It has a protein-enriched formulation that can nourish dry and tired hair.
- This works on blonde hair too.
- It may leave a stain on your bathroom walls.
- It is said to contain sulfates, which can be drying to the hair.
- This is not recommended for people with a sensitive scalp.
6. Celeb Luxury Conditioner
- Viral Hybrid
The Celeb Luxury Conditioner is marketed as an intensifying color conditioner. This means that the product can deposit intense and true-tone color pigments in your hair. At the same time, it can moisturize, strengthen, and soften your coarse and brittle hair.
- It’s designed to infuse full-color intensity on gray hair.
- The conditioner is available in fun and bright shades.
- It promises to rebuild hair bonds and make your hair 3 times stronger.
- This is perfect for everyone who wishes to achieve a bolder hair color.
- This has to be left on the hair for 20 minutes, so it’s not recommended for people who are in a hurry.
- It contains alcohol and fragrance, which can irritate the scalp.
7. Redken Protective Conditioner
The RedKen Protective Conditioner is here to extend the gray color of your hair. However, it’s not just here to revive your hair’s color but to protect the hair as well. It’s infused with amino acids that can help fortify dry and brittle hair.
- It also promises to revive the luminosity of stressed hair.
- All ingredients have been sourced sustainably.
- This comes with a shampoo version that would help you maximize its benefits.
- It has a chemical smell.
- The conditioner is messy to use.
Gray hair is beautiful, but it can get problematic. That’s why you need to find the best conditioner for gray hair. For us, it’s no other than the GBG Purple Conditioner because of its advanced botanical complex and natural ingredients.