When it comes to hair styling, most women’s go-to style is often natural, defined curls.
But what happens when your hair refuses to curl, or your curl pattern doesn’t quite hold up with water alone? Well, that’s where a curl enhancer comes in!
|Bumble and Bumble Curl Defining Creme
|SGX NYC Curl Power Nourishing Curl Cream
|amika Curl Corps Defining CreaM
|Curls Creme Brule Whipped Curl Cream
|Aunt Jackie's Curl La La Lightweight Curl Defining Custard
|Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie
Curl enhancing products come in many forms – they can be gels, creams, soufflés and the list goes on. Take a look at these picks for wavy, straight, 4c, fine and thick hair.
We absolutely love Bumble and Bumble’s BB Curl Enchancer. This one not only enhances the natural curls and waves of wavy hair but also smoothed the hair shaft and keeps frizz at bay.
A nourishing blend of natural oils like babassu oil and cupuacu butter keeps hair shiny, soft, and healthy.
We also recommend Moroccan Oil Intense Curl Cream.
This intense curl cream is infused with nourishing Argon oil and vitamins to give your activate curls and strengthen your hair at the same time leaving your hair shiny and refreshed.
SGX NYC Curl Power Nourishing Curl Cream perks up the texture of straight hair to give it a bit of curl.
It’s a super lightweight product, so it doesn’t weigh down straight hair or make it greasy or stiff.
You’ll need a bit of scrunching to help your curls take form, but with the help of this curling cream, it will be a breeze.
You can also bring some gorgeous curl to straight hair with the Oribe Curl Control Silkening Crème!
It’s another lightweight curl enhancing crème that contains avocado, coconut, and apricot oil, among other natural and healing ingredients.
- Controls Curls
- A Smoothing Curl Control Cream That Adds Bounce And Definition To Hair.
- Fights Frizz, Anyone With Natural Curls, Coils, And Waves!
- A Hair Styling Cream That Moisturizes, Softens + Enhances Curls.
4c hair can be difficult to deal with due to its many kinks and coils, but here’s a curl enhancer that’ll whip your kinks right into shape!
Amika Curl Corps Defining Cream is packed with antioxidants and protein to keep hair strong. This one is great for twist outs and wash-and-go’s.
We’re also big fans of As I Am Twist Defining Cream!
As I Am’s thick, creamy formula is a favorite in the natural hair community, and with just one use, you’ll certainly see why! Count on this one to keep those curls in place all day long.
Curls Creme Brule Whipped Curl Cream is just as luxurious as its name suggests.
Sweet-smelling, rich, and packed with oils, this whipped cream goes on super smooth and coats curls like butter. It’s the perfect product to revive old curls, too!
Another one is a household name in the curly hair community – Eco Styler Gel.
Take your pick of the olive oil, argan oil, shea butter, protein, coconut oil, and even castor oil formulas to find the best mix for you!
You don’t want much to define fine hair, but even a little goes a long way with Eco Styler.
Ooh la la!
Oh wait, we meant curl la la. As in Aunt Jackie’s Curl La La Lightweight Curl Defining Custard.
This product is the perfect combo of styling and hydration, because who wants dry curls? No one!
You’ll give it five stars each and every time.
Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie is another great pick for dry hair simply because of how thick it is.
No curl left behind with this one, as every strand is coated in this shea butter-based smoothie formula.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. What are the best styles and cuts for curly hair?
Ans. The best cuts and styles for curly hair are:
- The fringe and fro
- Creating an oval shape with longer layers. This will allow you to maintain length but will generate volume. This works well for coily hair as you notice the facial features more because the hair is framed around it.
- Versus Diametrix- a long diagonal cut that is angled by using the Diametrix cutting method. This style removes the bulkiness at the bottom of the hair and allows the curls to frame the face. It will create more textured hair and can emphasize the cheekbone area.
- Foundation cut. This is a method that is done curl by curl. It is referred to by this name as it is built from your foundation up to create a flattering look for your unique face.
It follows a curl pattern to design a style from scratch that defines the face and decreases the bulkiness of hair.
- A-Line bob
- Bloused triangle shape
- Curly shoulder bob
- Long layered bob with a fringe of bangs
- Chin length shag
Q2. What’s your favorite curl enhancer or curl definer product?
Ans. The best curl definer or curl enhancer products for afro hair are:
- Titi Catwalk Curlesque Curls Rock
- Kinky-Curly Curling Custard
- Ouidad Curl Quencher Moisturizing Gel
- Miss Jessie’s Quick Curls
- Curly Hair Solutions Curl Keeper
Q3. What is the best hair product to make your hair curly?
Ans. There are several different types of curly hair products that you can use for your hair type. Some will work on straight hair to hold a curl when using a curling iron, and some will work well on 4a hair.
The goal is to use one that will not dry out the hair (as you may have to use a curling iron) and will help you to avoid frizzy hair. Some common ones include:
- Suave Professionals Curl Defining Cream (natural hair)
- Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine Shampoo
- TRESemme Tres Flawless Curls Extra Hold Mousse (for styling)
- Suave Cream Detangler Spray (natural hair)
- TRESemme Pro Pure Detangle and Smooth Leave-In Conditioner (Dry Hair)
No matter your hair type, we hope that this guide was able to help you find the right curl enhancing product for you. Try it out! You won’t regret it.