No matter you’re a professional hairdresser or a random guy who is willing to cut hair at home, you can do the job well as long as you have the right hair cutting shears/scissors.
As there are plenty of scissors out there claiming ‘the best’, it’s important to do some research. In this article, we’re going to review some of the best hair cutting shears and scissors in the market right now.
Pick The Right Scissor/Shear
There’s no undo button after you’ve cut or trimmed a section of your hair. So, if you want to avoid making a complete disaster out of those locks, you need to do everything right.
There are a lot of hair scissors and shears in the market, so it’s imperative to pick one that suits your needs. You can choose from straight shears, thinning shears, and blending shears. Some scissors are suitable for trimming a beard and mustache, while others are only good for cutting hair.
Another thing that you must consider is the material of the shears. The blades need to be sharp and durable, so you don’t need to keep replacing your scissors. Ergonomics is also another feature to consider, especially if you’re a professional hairdresser.
But whether it’s for professional or home use, finding the best hair scissors is the only way to go.
|Top Top||Equinox Professional Razor Edge Hair Cutting Shears||See Price|
|Top Top||Utopia Care Professional Barber Hair Cutting Scissors/Shears||See Price|
|Top Top||ULG Professional Hair Thinning Scissors||See Price|
|Top Top||Elfina Thinning Texturizing Scissors||See Price|
|Top Top||Feng Chun Professional Hair Cutting Shears||See Price|
|Top Top||ShearGuru Professional Salon Scissors||See Price|
|Top Top||Himart Professional Hair Cutting Scissors||See Price|
|Top Top||Sanguine Professional Hairdressing Scissors||See Price|
|Equinox Professional Razor Edge Series Scissors/Shears Set||See Price|
Best Hair Cutting Shears and Scissors
Not just any shears or scissors you find at home will do. Performance, quality & functions of the shears and scissors are very important when it comes to hair cutting. That’s why you’ll see the scissors used by the professionals are always different from the ones we commonly see!
Here are the 10 best hair cutting shears or scissors recommended by us.
1. Equinox Professional Razor Edge Hair Cutting Shears
Equinox has been testing shear styles and stainless steel variations for years, so their hair cutting shears/scissors are guaranteed high-quality. With their precise Japanese stainless steel blades and hand-sharpened cutting edges, you can cut or trim strands evenly and hassle-free. The shears’ total body length is 6.5 inches, making these the perfect tool to cut thick or thin hair.
- High-quality Japanese stainless steel
- Precise and sharp blades
- 4.8-ounce lightweight design
- Comfortable and easy to grip curved handle
- Suitable for professional and beginner use
- Equipped with an adjustment screw
- Comes in a vacuum-packed plastic casing
- Coated with lubricating oil before delivery
- Small finger holes
- Not suitable for trimming beard and mustache
- Dulls too quickly
- Suitable only for right-handed use
2. Utopia Care Barber Hair Cutting Shears
Utopia used 100% Japanese J2 420 stainless steel to create these high-quality and durable hair cutting shears/scissors. The cutting blades are hand-crafted for optimum control and balance, and each pair can stay razor-sharp and last a lifetime. Every snip you make will be precise and smooth, so you won’t have to worry about hair getting stuck between the blades.
- Ergonomic design and non-slip handle
- Comfortable with every move
- Comes with two rubber finger inserts
- Includes a fine adjustment tension screw
- Durable and high-quality pure stainless steel
- Super sharp blades
- Works for both right and left-handed
- Unpleasant odor from rubber inserts
- Not rust-resistant
- Becomes dull in only several uses
- No protective container other than the plastic it came with
3. ULG Professional Hair Thinning Scissors
These durable Japanese stainless steel hair thinning scissors by ULG are ideal for junior hairdressers and home use. The shears boast of the highest standards with premium materials and blades that are hand-polished. What’s unique about these shears is the blue stone embedded between the two-leaf intersection that gives it a luxurious finish.
- Features 30 sharp teeth on one side
- Can thin hair at a rate of 20% to 25%
- Won’t damage hair or cause split ends
- Includes a high-resilient muffler
- Comes with a detachable rubber handle
- Comfortable to grip
- Ergonomic thumb and finger design
- Only for right-handed users
- No adjustable tension screws
- Tiny finger holes
- Loose rubber handles
4. Elfina Thinning Texturizing Scissors
Elfina’s professional hair cutting set has all the tools you need to cut, trim, thin, or create texture to your hair. It includes one cutting scissors, one thinning scissors, a grooming comb, two hair clips, and a cleaning cloth. Both the cutting and thinning scissors are high-quality 420 stainless steel, so you can confidently snip away each strand with precision.
- Tension adjustment screw for both shears
- “Humanized” handles
- Easy and comfortable grip
- High-quality stainless steel
- For beginners and professional hairdressers
- 17-cm cutting and thinning shears body length
- 58 Hardness Rockwell C level
- Comes in leather case
- Not rust-resistant
- No way to adjust the tension screw of both shears
- No pointed tips for trimming the ends of the hair
- Only 28 teeth on its thinning shears
5. Feng Chun Professional Hair Cutting Shears
For only 2.4 ounces, this lightweight tool delivers professional results that can cut through wet or dry hair instantly. These rainbow-colored hair cutting shears are purely handmade using Japan 420C premium steel and can last for decades. The blade went through several processes to ensure excellent corrosion and wear resistance and a hardness level that reaches 62HRC.
- Comfortable curved handle
- Precision fine-tuning bearings
- Suitable for both left-handed and right-handed users
- Rust and wear-resistant
- Can cut wet or dry hair
- 6-inch body length for snipping hair of kids and adult
- Comes with a rubber stopper
- Square and blunted tip
- Difficult to cut bangs
- Thin and flimsy plastic packaging
- Weak rubber stopper that suddenly falls
6. ShearGuru Professional Salon Scissors
The premium Japanese stainless steel scissors are hand-sharpened and finely honed using patented technology to produce sharp edges. Compared to regular scissors, Japanese stainless steel retains its sharpness five times longer. These high-quality shears will never lock up or get dull, so you’ll make the perfect cut with every use.
- Custom-designed Culton tension adjustment screw
- Hassle-free use
- For professionals
- Maximum comfort on handles
- Won’t lock up or get dull
- Comes in a leather case
- Lifetime warranty
- Suitable only for right-handed people
- Small thumb hole
- Low-quality thinning shears
7. Himart Professional Hair Cutting Scissors
This professional hair cutting kit by Himart includes regular hair scissors, thinning scissors, grooming comb, hairpins, regulator, and a cleaning cloth. These tools come in a cushioned black storage case to keep all in one place and prevent accidents. The kit is a must-have for professional hairdressers and people who want to cut their hair at home.
- Balanced thinning and cutting scissors
- Comes with a removable protector ring
- Ergonomically curved handle
- Comfortable even with prolonged use
- 6CR premium stainless steel
- Long-lasting cutting edge
- For wet and dry hair
- Sleek design
- Includes a zippered cushion black storage case
- Comes with a regulator for easy screw adjustment
- Might be small for users with big hands
- Obscures hair because of black color
- Rounded tips
- Heavy and clunky
8. Rough Stache Professional Hair Scissors
These 6.5-inch professional hair scissors by Rough Stache are the lightest among the list and weigh only 2.3 ounces. These scissors are 100% high-quality stainless steel, which delivers flawless and professional results for your hair, beards, or mustache. It’s the ideal cutting tool for right-handed barbers, men’s hairdressers, or males who want to cut their hair at home.
- High-quality and durable
- Chemical-resistant and rust-proof
- Can cut wet or dry hair
- Create a textured or blunt cut
- Ergonomic shape
- Optimum comfort even with prolonged use
- Non-slip and secure handle
- Can trim beard and mustache
- Includes an adjustable tension screw
- 6.5-inch razor edge
- Thick blades
- Square tip
- Only suitable for right-handed people
- Dull cutting edges after several uses
9. Sanguine Professional Hairdressing Scissors
These classy black professional shears weigh 4.3 ounces and have an overall length of 5.5 inches. They might not be as long as the other cutting tools on this list, but these shears cut hair cleanly. You can use these to trim beards and mustache or cut small sections of hair at a time.
- Hand-crafted from J2 Japanese steel
- Can cut beards and mustache
- Has a fine-tuning round tension screw
- Includes a removable finger rest
- Comfortable for right-handed and left-handed users
- Razor-sharp edges
- Short shears blade
- Color makes hair hard to see
- Can catch hairs on the screw
- A bit on the expensive side
10. Equinox Professional Razor Edge Series Scissors/Shears Set
The Equinox Shears Set is here to bring you value for your money. Even though it’s highly affordable, this scissors set is designed for professional use and comes with the two types of scissors you need to get started– stainless steel hair cutting and hair thinning scissors.
With a length of 6.5 inches, it’s convenient to be used by anyone–men, women, and even children. Weighing only 4.8 ounces each, you surely won’t experience any hand fatigue even if you use these all day long.
- Has an adjustment screw to customize the tension and tightness of the scissors
- Comes in a plastic casing
- Coated with lubricating oil
- Easy-grip handle design
- Made with rust-free Japanese stainless steel
- Small finger loops
- Pulls hair