Perm rods and flexi rods both have their space in the world of heatless curling tools. Both have been touted as replacements for hot tools like curling irons and curling wands that often damage and dry out hair.
But which one should you choose? You might be a bit confused when it comes to making a choice between the two.
Luckily, we’ve got all the info you need to make an educated decision. Keep reading to find out just which curling rod is best for you!
Perm Rods – What You Should Know
If you’ve read our article all about perm rods, then you know everything about these little rods. If not, we’ve got what you need to know.
Perm rods were created to set curls during perms, but their popularity quickly skyrocketed with the help of the natural hair movement.
Perm rods are made in several different pretty colors, as well as different sizes for versatility in styling. These range from biggest to the smallest, which give tight straw curls.
Perm rods can be used on any texture of hair, but often require different setting products based on your hair texture. They’re easy to use and are super affordable and durable.
Flexi Rods – What You Should Know
We also have a great article on flexi rods, but here’s everything you should know about them.
Like perm rods, flexi rods are a popular alternative to hot curling tools. Unlike perm rods, though, flexi rods aren’t made of hard plastic, but of soft, comfortable foam.
Learning how to wrap flexi rods is a bit more complex than learning to wrap perm rods as there is no clip to secure them in place, but thanks to their shape and design, learning to wrap them properly only takes it of practice.
Flexi rods produce bouncy spiral curls that you’ll love. Of course, wet or damp hair is best for using these curling rods, as dry hair will easily frizz and lose its shape during the process.
Perm Rods Or Flexi Rods?
Let’s get down to which curling rod is right for you. There are pros and cons of each one, so instead of picking one over the next, we’ve chosen the winning rod based on several factors.
Perm rods are the best bet for you if:
- You have shorter hair. Perm rods are better suited for short hair because of the horizontal rod design.
- You are a beginner to curling rods. Perm rods are easier to secure because of the clasp design.
- You prefer tighter curls over looser ones. This doesn’t relate to the size of the curl, but rather, the tightness of the curl. Perm rods produce beautiful springy, tight curls regardless of the size of the rod you choose.
Flexi rods should be your choice if:
- Your hair is medium length/long. The vertical design of a flexi rod means that there is more room for you to wrap your hair strands.
- You prioritize comfort. The foam material of flexi rods makes them much more comfortable to sleep in!
- You prefer elongated curls over tight coils. Because of the vertical rod, you can wrap your hair down the length of the flexi rod rather than around it for a more elongated result.
There you have it! We’ve talked about curl size, comfort, and hair length as the main factors which decide which curling rod you should use.
We absolutely adore both perm rods and flexi rods! Even heatless curling methods can be versatile.