We all know that men tend to have a smaller beauty cabinet than women. What often goes overlooked is the fact that men need hair styling products, too. More specifically, they need a hair conditioner.
When you just use shampoo, you strip your hair without anything to rehydrate or repair it. As a result, your hair will look full, rough, and full of static. Especially if you’re a man with long hair, you’ll want to avoid this to cut down on breakage. For anyone, healthy hair is important to maintain as weak hair can lead to hair loss.
The classic 7-in-1 shampoo just doesn’t cut it, not if you want full, thick, voluminous hair. Here are the 13 best conditioners to choose from for men.
|Top Top||K + S Men’s Hair Conditioner||Best Overall||See Price|
|Kiehl's Amino Acid Conditioner||Best for All Hair Types||See Price|
|Top Top||Brickell Men's Revitalizing Hair Conditioner for Men||Best for Thinning Hair||See Price|
|Top Top||Aveda Be Curly Conditione||Best for Curly Hair||See Price|
|Top Top||Christophe Robin Detangling Gelee with Sea Minerals||Best for Long Hair||See Price|
|Top Top||Hanz de Fuko Premium Natural Conditioner||Best to Strengthen Hair||See Price|
|Top Top||Sachajuan Moisturizing Conditioner||Best for Dry Hair||See Price|
|Top Top||Hawkins & Brimble Hair Conditioner for Men||Best for Dandruff||See Price|
|Top Top||Aveda Botanical Repair Strengthening Conditioner||Best for Colored Hair||See Price|
|Top Top||Clairol Professional Shimmer Lights Conditioner||Best for Grey Hair||See Price|
|Top Top||Jack Black - Double-Header Shampoo + Conditioner - PureScience Formula||Best 2-in-1 Shampoo & Conditioner||See Price|
|Top Top||American Crew Daily Conditioner||Best for Daily Use||See Price|
Best Hair Conditioners for Men
1. Best Overall – K + S Men’s Hair Conditioner
Here’s why Krieger and Sohne Conditioner for Men is our top pick:
- This conditioner is very concentrated, which means you only need a small amount to make your hair silky smooth
- Its use of tea tree oil will give your hair a fresh and clean scent
- This conditioner is perfect for any type of hair and any color, making it very versatile
2. Best for All Hair Types – Kiehl’s Since 1851 Amino Acid Conditioner
Not sure where to start? Try Kiehl’s Amino Acid Conditioner to get your hair routine leading you toward smoother hair. Here’s why you should go with the trusted Kiehl brand:
- This is one of the most popular rejuvenating conditioners on the market
- The use of amino acids in the conditioner gives your hair the opportunity to hydrate by enhancing the water retention
- This conditioner is free of parabens and silicone
- This conditioner is formulated for all hair types. But if you’re not sure which hair type you are, go with this one:
3. Best for Thinning Hair – Brickell Men’s Revitalizing Hair Conditioner for Men
This conditioner contains aloe, borage oil, and avocado oil, all of the ingredients you need to make your hair shinier and fuller. This conditioner is for all hair types, but especially for those with thinning hair. This conditioner is best for thinning hair because:
- Its ingredients provide the skin and hair on your head with everything it needs to revitalize
- Borage oil encourages hair growth and retention while reducing dandruff and inflammation
- Its peppermint and tea tree scent will leave you feeling fresh and revitalized
- The avocado oil in the conditioner results in less breakage and fuller hair to make you feel confident
4. Best for Curly Hair – Aveda Be Curly Conditioner
Curly, thick, beautiful hair is nothing to complain about unless it is weighed down by shampoo or conditioner. This is why men with curly hair need a conditioner like Aveda Be Curly. Here’s what makes it the best conditioner for curly hair:
- Its makeup will ensure that the conditioner doesn’t weigh down your hair while making sure your curls are defined and your frizz is under control
- This conditioner contains a wheat protein and organic aloe blend that will expand your hair when wet and retract when dry, enhancing the natural wave of your hair
- This conditioner is best used with the Aveda Be Curly shampoo, which can be bought as a set
5. Best for Long Hair – Christophe Robin Detangling Gelee with Sea Minerals
Every man with long hair knows how tangled their mane can get. This is why we selected Christophe Robin’s Detangling conditioner as our best pick for long hair. What makes this conditioner best for long hair? Let me tell you:
- This conditioner has a fresh gel texture that detangles your hair without weighing it down
- The use of sea minerals ensures a beautiful, flowy, and airy head of hair
- After a quick appliance and rinse, the scalp and hair are strengthened, hydrated, and remineralized, leaving your hair restored and bouncy
6. Best to Strengthen Hair – Hanz de Fuko Premium Natural Conditioner
Do you feel like your roots and hair strands need a workout to be strengthened? Don’t worry, you don’t need to get your head of hair a gym membership if you get Hanz de Fuko’s Premium Natural Conditioner. Here’s what makes this conditioner great for strengthening your head of hair:
- This conditioner contains 16-plus pure natural plant extracts and 10-plus amino acids that will create the optimum environment for hair growth and a healthy scalp
- The pump system on the bottle makes it very easy to apply to your hand and makes usage a breeze
- This conditioner will not only give your hair an amazing shine, but it will also make it more noticeable, thicker, stronger, and more manageable
- The experts at Hanz De Fuko formulated this conditioner with an array of all-natural ingredients to nourish the hair from root to tip
7. Best for Damaged Hair – Kiehl’s Damage Repairing & Rehydrating Conditioner
- Damage Repairing & Rehydrating Conditioner (For Damaged, Very Dry Hair)
Kiehl had to be mentioned on this list again because of its great reputation for its hair products. This conditioner is one of the best when it comes to repairing damaged hair. Plus, it is also great for dry hair due to its awesome ingredients, including:
- Moringa tree oil, which will make your hair look lustrous, supple, and healthy while making your roots grow stronger
- This conditioner also detangles any head of hair and conditions it to enhance manageability without weighing the hair down
- Its ingredients ensure that the volume is put back into your hair, leaving it soft and smelling great
8. Best for Dry Hair – Sachajuan Moisturizing Conditioner
Do you feel like your scalp is dry and itchy? Don’t worry, you’re not alone. Sachajuan can help you fix this with its moisturizing conditioner. But what makes this conditioner so great for dry hair?
- This product contains argan oil. It, along with Sachajuan’s ocean silk technology, provides optimal moisture, fights frizz, and repairs damage
- Sachajuan specializes in providing its customers with products that replenish damaged and dehydrated hair with its targeted care products
- This conditioner might have a hefty price point, but it is worth it given that you won’t be using many other hair control products
9. Best for Dandruff – Hawkins & Brimble Hair Conditioner for Men
When people think about dandruff, they quickly jump to Head & Shoulders Conditioner. But we believe Hawkins & Brimble Elemi & Ginseng Condition is the better option, and here is why:
- This conditioner contains coconut oil, which is essential in making sure your scalp and hair are smooth and hydrated
- Coconut oil penetrates right into the fibre of the hair to nourish it from the inside out, ensuring that your hair is not dry and, as a result, preventing dandruff
- In addition to its benefits against dandruff, this conditioner also has an amazing smell. The unique and subtle scent of elemi and ginseng will have everyone asking what kind of conditioner you use
10. Best for Colored Hair – Aveda Botanical Repair Strengthening Conditioner
Are you worried about the type of conditioner to use with your color-treated or chemically processed hair? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. Aveda and a team of specialist Ph.D chemists have created Aveda’s Botanical Repair. Here’s what these chemists did to ensure you give your colour-treated hair the best care in the world:
- It effectively treats your hair by using a plant-derived, bond-multiplying molecule that improves hair integrity at the core; a cuticle-treating macro-green mixture of nurturing avocado, green tea, and sacha inchi; and a protecting active complex that forms a hidden water-resistant lipid coating to seal the hair cuticle and prevent potential damage
- This conditioner can be used every day so you don’t need to worry about washing colour out of your hair
- This conditioner is also great for those who don’t have coloured hair. It works for all hair types and textures and will leave your hair soft, smooth, and shiny
11. Best for Grey Hair – Clairol Professional Shimmer Lights Conditioner
Grey hair looks amazing when it is treated right. This is why you need Clairol Professional Shimmer Lights Conditioner. If you use this, we ensure you’ll have bright, shiny hair like George Clooney. Here’s what makes this product so perfect for grey hair:
- It contains a rich blend of emollients that hydrates your scalp while refreshing and brightening your gray hair
- This conditioner also tones down the brassiness and removes the dull yellow in gray hair by leaving your hair shiny
- If you use a smidge of this conditioner with a classic paraben-free conditioner, you will have an even greater effect of silkiness and bright grey hair
12. Best 2-in-1 Shampoo & Conditioner – Jack Black – Double-Header Shampoo + Conditioner – PureScience Formula
Who has time for both a shampoo and a conditioner? There are so many 2-in-1 or even 3-in-1 shampoos out there, but we think this Jack Black 2-in-1 Shampoo + Conditioner is the best when it comes to convenience.
- This product is perfect if you have dry or flaky scalp as it contains coconut oil and kelp
- The coconut oil-and-kelp formula washes away grease and product buildup by giving you all the benefits of conditioner
- In addition to washing away grease, this conditioner also untangles your hair and rehydrates your hair and scalp
- Another great aspect of this conditioner is that it also contains creatine, a natural chemical compound that strengthens hair strands and makes them less likely to break.
13. Best for Daily Use – American Crew Daily Conditioner
Who doesn’t want a daily conditioner that you don’t need to think about too much? If this is you, then the American Crew Daily Conditioner is for you. This conditioner is for normal hair types, making it right for you no matter the circumstances.
- This conditioner contains ammonium quaternary salts, which are optimal for hydrating and conditioning your hair
- It works wonders for your hair as it keeps it soft, pliable, and a bit shiny
- A moisturized and hydrated scalp will definitely not be an issue with this conditioner as it is perfect for daily use
- The best thing about this conditioner? Its peppermint and menthol will leave your scalp fresh and cool after your shower
How to Use Conditioner
Using a conditioner for the first time may be daunting, but we’ve got you covered with a step-by-step guide. I personally love using scalp massage brushes as they work the conditioner into the roots, but they’re not necessary.
Before applying the conditioner, you need to make sure that you clean your hair with shampoo to make sure that all the dirt and grime is out of your head.
Once you’ve rinsed off the shampoo, you can begin your conditioner treatment:
- After washing out your hair thoroughly, squeeze a small amount of conditioner onto your hands or a new scalp massage brush
- Once you have a small amount on your hands or your brush, start spreading the conditioner throughout your hair
- Use your fingers or your scalp brush to massage the conditioner into your hair
- Make sure you get right into the roots to ensure the effectiveness of the conditioner is fully engaged
- Remember that conditioner is used to improve your hair, roots, and scalp, but do not wash with it
- Once you’ve covered your whole head with conditioner, proceed to Step 2
- Once you’ve applied the conditioner to all of your hair, depending on which one you’ve chosen, let the conditioner set in your hair according to the bottle directions
- Most conditioners that were mentioned only need to sit for one or two minutes but make sure that you check the directions on the bottle
- For example, Aveda’s Be Curly conditioner mentions on its bottle that it should be left in for up to five minutes!
- Make sure your head stays away from the water to ensure that the conditioner can get to work on your roots
- Once the sitting time has passed, it’s time to rinse out the conditioner
- Do this thoroughly by massaging your scalp with your fingers to ensure you’re getting all of the conditioner out
- Be advised that, given its thicker consistency, the conditioner takes a little longer to rinse out of your hair than shampoo
- Now that all the conditioner is rinsed out of your hair and you’re done your shower, it is time to dry your hair
- Based on research on healthy hair, it is important that you focus on treating your hair lightly without squeezing or tugging on it
- Because of this, make sure that you’re just patting your hair dry and brushing your hair afterward
What’s The Difference Between a Conditioner for Men and Women? Can I Use a Conditioner Meant for Women?
Totally! A lot of hair products for men and women often only differ in scents. Many of these scents are subtle, though, so if you don’t mind those, then go for it.
Other than the scent, conditioners may also slightly differ based on what they are meant for. Since a lot of women tend to wear their hair longer than men, their conditioner focuses on building up the hair’s strengths so it can last longer and grow longer.
There isn’t anything stopping you from getting conditioner meant for women, though, so if that’s what you see is the best fit, then go for it.
Do 2-in-1 Shampoo & Conditioners Have the Same Benefits and Effects as Full Conditioners?
Yes and no. As you probably read earlier, we suggested Jack Black – Double-Header Shampoo + Conditioner because we think this is the best 2-in-1 conditioner. If you don’t want to buy a sole conditioner, then go for the Jack Black – Double Header.
But if you are up for it, then go with another one that we mentioned above because shampoos and conditioners are best formulated separately, so it’s better to get one conditioner and one shampoo. Oftentimes, conditioners are created with shampoo in mind, so sometimes it’s best if you get the set.
For example, Aveda’s Botanical Repair line has both a shampoo and conditioner which would be best used together to get the most out of the products.
It’s a must for men to use conditioners to maintain healthy hair. I hope this guide helped you choose one that works for you.
Let us know what you think in the comments below!