Learn about the best leave-in hair conditioners for men and understand how to use them to keep your hair and beard soft and moisturized. Although many hair products on the market are targeted toward women, men can benefit from having a collection of solid hair products as well.
There are actually multiple benefits to having a diverse collection of hair care products. Beyond the basic shampoo and conditioner, men should consider having go-to hair treatments and styling products to help them maintain the vitality their hair and look of their locks. One hair product that every man should consider using in his hair routine is a good leave-in conditioner.
Leave-in conditioners are crucial to anyone who cares about the health of their hair — men included. With the right leave in conditioner, you’ll notice the difference in the look and feel of your hair, both immediately and over time.
However, finding the right leave-in conditioner for men can be a daunting process, especially for those men who are only used to using shampoo and conditioner and don’t know how to start their search.
In this article, we’ll explain why men should use leave-in conditioners and how they work. Then, we’ll list the 11 best leave-in conditioners for men.
If you’re in a hurry, here’s a list of our recommended men’s leave-in conditioners.
|Top||Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Intensely Smooth Leave-In Conditioning Cream||Best Overall||See Price|
|Top||Cantu Shea Butter Men's Collection Leave in Conditioner||Most Affordable||See Price|
|Top||Solutions by Great Clips Men's Leave-In Conditioner||Best for Scalp Moisture||See Price|
|Top||Paul Mitchell: The Original Leave-In Conditioner, For All Hair Types||Best Professional Product||See Price|
|Top||Floyd's 99 Refresh Hair and Body Conditioner - Moisturizing - Soothing - Calming||Best Starter Leave-In Conditioner||See Price|
|Top||Wahl, Beard Creme for Softening, Moisturizing, Conditioning Facial Hair||Best for Facial Hair||See Price|
|Top||Tea Tree Hair and Body Moisturizer Leave-In Conditioner||Best Multi-Purpose||See Price|
|Top||Olivina Men Rinse Out | Leave In Conditioner Cream||Best Smelling||See Price|
|Top||Living Proof No Frizz Leave-In Conditioner||Best for Reducing Frizz||See Price|
|Top||CHI Keratin Leave-in Conditioner||Best for Strengthening||See Price|
Why Use Leave-In Conditioners for Men
As their name suggests, leave-in men’s conditioner is meant to be left in your hair after washing with shampoo, drying and styling. Leave-in conditioners differ from the other conditioners you’re probably used to.
Unlike the hair conditioners you use in the shower, leave-in conditioners are usually lightweight and add moisture that is meant to last all day. Men’s conditioner that stays with you all day can also help nourish the scalp; it may help prevent dryness and flakiness.
Leave-in conditioners are ideal for both maintaining healthy hair and repairing damaged hair, as they often include vitamins that can penetrate the hair shaft. They can also help tame frizzy hair and enhance the curls for those with curly locks.
Depending on the brand you choose, you can even use a leave-in conditioner as a styling tool to add volume and prevent your hair from falling flat if you have fine hair.
Other benefits of leave-in conditioners include:
- Adds moisture to dry hair
- Helps detangle hair
- Controls frizz
- Prevents hair from being damaged from over-processing
- Strengthens weak and brittle hair
Leave-in conditioners are suitable for all hair types. No matter how long or short your hair is, or how curly or straight, a leave-in conditioner for a man will help improve the overall health of his hair.
If you have facial hair, especially a beard, a leave-in men’s conditioner may be beneficial to use as well. Long, thick beards need extra care to keep the hair neat and prevent tangling, and leave-in conditioners can help you maintain your beard. Most leave-in conditioners for men’s hair are safe to use on your beard, but there are definitely some leave-in conditioners made especially for facial hair, no matter how long or short it is.
When researching different conditioners to use for your hair, you may encounter the term “deep conditioners.” Deep conditioners are treatments that are meant to be rinsed out after they settle in your hair for 15 to 30 minutes. Unlike leave-in conditioners that can be used every day, deep conditioners are usually heavier and only need to be applied 2-4 times a month to achieve results.
Regular application of a deep conditioner is beneficial to the long-term health of your hair. Men are encouraged to incorporate deep conditioning treatments into their hair care routine on top of the regular use of leave-in conditioners.
How to Use a Leave-In Conditioner
Leave-in conditioners are usually as simple to use as the name sounds. However, the process and quantity that you use may differ by hair type and depending on whether or not you use other products to style your hair as well.
Here’s how a leave-in conditioner is typically used:
- Wash your hair as you normally would with shampoo. If you plan on using a leave-in conditioner, using a regular conditioner in the shower is optional. If you do choose to use a regular conditioner in the shower, be sure to thoroughly rinse out all of the conditioner from your hair.
- Use a towel to pat your hair dry and to remove excess water. You want to apply a leave-in conditioner to your hair when it’s damp, but not when it’s dripping wet.
- Take your leave-in conditioner and follow the guidelines on the bottle to know how much to apply. Apply the recommended amount, being sure to distribute it evenly through your hair.
- Use a brush or comb to detangle your hair and further distribute the leave-in conditioner.
- Style as usual.
- If you have thick, long, curly or dry hair, you may need to use more leave-in conditioner than is recommended on the bottle. Use your judgement to ensure that your hair is thoroughly coated, but make sure not to add too much so as not to cause your hair to get greasy, or to create build-up.
- Use a wide tooth comb if you have thick and curly hair to better distribute the leave-in conditioner and prevent breaking your hair.
- If you use other styling products (mousse or gel), you should still use a leave-in conditioner. Apply the leave-in conditioner to your hair first.
- How often you apply a leave-in conditioner depends on your hair and how often you wash it. You can apply it every day, but be sure to use it in conjunction with how often you wash your hair to prevent build-up or greasiness.
Best Leave-In Conditioners for Men
Now that you know the benefits of a leave in conditioner for men, you’re ready to start implementing one into your hair care routine. The kind of leave-in hair moisturizer you use will largely depend on the type of hair you have. If it helps, ask the people in your life, men or women, about how they choose their leave-in conditioners and how it’s benefitted their hair.
To get you started on your journey, below is a list of the 11 best leave-in conditioners for men. The list includes a combination of leave-in conditioners that are made especially for men and leave-in conditioners that are meant for use by any gender.
When it comes to haircare, the type of hair that you have – straight or curly hair, dry or fine hair, etc. — matters more than your gender, so if you find a product that works, stick with it.
1. Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Intensely Smooth Leave-In Conditioning Cream _ — Best Overall
If you’re still not sure whether a leave-in conditioner is right for you and just want to try it out, or if you’re simply looking for a leave-in conditioner that will get the job done, then Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine leave-in conditioner should be your product of choice.
Not only is this leave-in conditioner inexpensive, but it has all of the necessary properties to nourish your strands, reduce frizz and improve the overall state of your hair. Garnier Fructis’s leave-in conditioner will definitely turn you into a believer.
- From a reputable company
- Provides frizz control in 97 percent humidity
2. Cantu Shea Butter Men’s Collection Leave in Conditioner – Most Affordable
Cantu Shea Butter’s Men’s Collection is full of quality products that encourage men to care for their hair the same way women do. Cantu was originally made with afro-textured hair in mind, but the formula is suitable for all hair types.
Their leave-in conditioner is inexpensive and ideal for all hair types, whether you have curly hair or straight hair. This leave-in conditioner combines hemp seed oil and shea butter to provide maximum moisture.
- Combination of hemp seed oil and shea butter
- No sulfates, parabens or minerals
- Ideal for afro-textured hair
- Not ideal for thin hair
3. Solutions by Great Clips Men’s Leave-In Conditioner – Best for Scalp Moisture
Men Solutions leave-in conditioner by Great Clips is not only meant to moisturize your hair, but it is also meant to relieve scalp irritation and itching. The natural extracts help repair dry, brittle, and damaged hair, while the additional moisturizing agents soothe your scalp.
This leave-in conditioner for men provides styling capabilities, as it provides light texture and hold. It may be the only product you need to get the look you want.
- Relieves scalp irritation
- Styling capabilities
- Subtle fragrance
- Not ideal for thick hair
4. Paul Mitchell The Original Leave-In Conditioner, For All Hair Types – Best Professional Product
Paul Mitchell is a brand known to provide salon quality results while being accessible to everyone. This leave-in hair conditioner is ideal for all hair types and is said to smoothen hair, reduce static and prevent dryness, while balancing moisture to improve the overall texture of your hair.
Try it with the other styling products that Paul Mitchell offers to get your hair into its best shape yet.
- Ideal for all hair types
- Lavender and rosemary scent
- Vegan and paraben-free
- Scent is very mild
5. Floyd’s 99 Refresh Hair and Body Conditioner – Moisturizing – Soothing – Calming Best Starter Leave-In
Floyd’s 99 claims that this leave-in conditioner is meant for “the man who doesn’t use products,” so if you’re just starting to explore using more hair products, this might be a good one to start with.
This leave-in conditioner contains both shea butter and mint oils to moisturize your hair and soothe your scalp. It’s also suitable for moisturizing skin, so you’ll get maximum use out of this product.
- Shea butter to moisturize hair and mint essential oils to soothe scalp
- Color safe
- People have had issues with the pump
6. Wahl, Beard Creme for Softening, Moisturizing, Conditioning Facial Hair – Best for Facial Hair
If you have a beard, you want to make sure that it remains moisturized and looking good. Luckily, most leave-in conditioners can also be used on your beard, but Wahl has a leave-in hair moisturizer that is made especially for beards.
The formula for this leave-in conditioner is made with coarse hair in mind, making it suitable to adequately penetrate facial hair of any length.
- Beard-specific product
- Ideal for coarse hair
- Great on any length of facial hair
- Paraben and phthalate-free
- May be too heavy for fine hair
7. Tea Tree Hair and Body Moisturizer, Leave-In Conditioner, Body Lotion, After-Shave Cream – Best Multi-Purpose
This versatile product from tea tree hair can be used as a leave-in conditioner, body lotion and after-shave cream — great for men who don’t like having too many products. The formula contains peppermint, tea tree oil, jojoba oil and lavender to soothe your skin and leave your hair smelling great.
When you apply this leave in conditioner to your skin or scalp, you’ll get a tingling sensation from the tea tree oil that will leave a cooling effect.
- Tea tree oil – great for scalp
- Vegan and paraben free
- Some have mentioned that it has a “medicinal smell”
8. Olivina Men Rinse Out | Leave In Conditioner Cream – Best Smelling
You won’t be able to get over the delightful smell of this Olivina Men leave-in conditioner. The aroma of cedar and smoky vanilla will have your hair smelling good throughout the day, but the benefits don’t stop there.
This leave-in hair conditioner is made with a nourishing blend of olive oil, elderberry and barley protein to give your hair maximum moisture and shine. You have the option of either rinsing out or leaving in this hair conditioner, although the mesmerizing fragrance may have you easily choose to use this product as a leave-in conditioner.
- Unique smell
- Rinse out or leave in
- Very thick – may weigh down fine hair
9. Living Proof No Frizz Leave-In Conditioner – Best for Reducing Frizz
Living Proof’s leave-in conditioner has a formula that is especially made to reduce frizz and maximize shine. This product helps block humidity and smoothen dry hair strands to help you maintain your hairstyle all day, no matter the weather.
- Frizz control
- Ideal for damaged hair
- Safe on chemically-treated hair
- Does not work well with thin hair
10. CHI Keratin Leave-in Conditioner – Best for Strengthening
The CHI Keratin leave-in conditioner focuses on strengthening and protecting hair. This product is designed to infuse damaged hair, using keratin to rebuild the hair’s cuticle, improve hair elasticity and prevent further breakage. Whether or not your hair is damaged, if you’re looking to strengthen it, this leave-in conditioner has got you covered.
- Spray bottle for easy distribution
- Keratin formula helps repair and strengthen hair
- Ideal for everyday use
- Not as moisturizing as other leave-in conditioners
11. Leave-In Conditioner & Styling Cream By Scapicchio – Best All-Natural Product
No products found.
This Scapicchio hair product is not only a leave-in conditioner, but it also functions as a styling cream. Using all-natural ingredients, this product contains no harmful chemicals and only safe, natural and botanically-derived ingredients to provide your hair with the most moisture and best hold.
You can rest easy knowing that you’re using the most natural leave in conditioner to both moisturize and style your hair.
- All-natural ingredients
- Doubles as a styling cream
- Free of harmful chemicals
With so many leave-in conditioners for men on the market, it’s worth considering trying one to add to your collection of haircare. The benefit of a leave-in hair conditioner is undeniable and only requires one extra step after washing.
If you find that a conditioner isn’t giving you the result, don’t give up. It takes trial and error to find the perfect product for your hair. In the long run, your hair will show you gratitude for using a leave-in conditioner!