We could always leave our hair in foam curlers overnight, but sometimes we need something a little more robust, like a set of jumbo hot rollers.
We’ll review the 10 best jumbo hot rollers with the pros and cons of each. Check them out to pick the best one for you.
|Remington H5600H Ionic Conditioning Hair Setter||See Price|
|Conair Compact Multi-Size Hot Rollers||See Price|
|Conair Instant Heat Travel Hot Rollers||See Price|
|BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium Roller Hairsetter||See Price|
|INFINITIPRO BY CONAIR Instant Heat Ceramic Flocked Rollers,||See Price|
|REMINGTON H9100S Electric Hot Rollers||See Price|
|Conair Express Curls & Waves Hot Rollers||See Price|
|Conair Xtreme Instant Heat Ceramic Hot Rollers||See Price|
|Remington H1016 Compact Ceramic Hair Setter||See Price|
|John Frieda Body & Shine Smooth Waves||See Price|
Best Jumbo Hot Rollers
To create long-lasting curls, the Remington Ionic Conditioning Hairsetter uses rollers with thermal wax cores. The 20 rollers on this model come in 3 different roller sizes, each color-coded, and can cover your entire head.
You don’t have to worry about overheating the rollers since an indicator light lets you know when you’re ready to style. Plus, the rollers’ ends stay cool, so you don’t have to worry about burns. Creasing should not be a problem since the J-clips on this model holds the hair without wrinkling the ends.
- Creates a tight curl in 5-10 minutes
- Don’t leave kinks in hair
- Less straining than using a curling iron
- Rolls secure firmly to hair
- Curls fine hair without frizzing up
- Cool ends might fall off after several uses
- The bottom end of curlers gets too hot to touch
- Not enough variety in curler sizes
The Conair Compact’s pretty blue rollers have a patented design that grips and holds your hair in a curl. You’ll know when the rollers are ready when the signal light turns red. The hair setter has a dual voltage function so that you can take it around the world with you.
The set comes with 20 different rollers in 3 different sizes to cover your whole head. They each have their color-coded clip to hold your hair in place. Plus, you can store these clips in a cubby in the setter case.
- Curls fine and thick hair well
- Lightweight, easy-to-use clips
- Doesn’t frizz out fine hair
- Heat up fast
- Compact storage
- Holding clips kind of hurt
- Edges can get hot enough to burn
- Heat doesn’t hold for long
Some curling sets come with as many as 20 rollers. The Conair Instant Heat travel hot roller set might only have 5 rollers, but they do the trick just as well. They heat up in as little as 2 minutes so you can get to styling.
The velvety roller surfaces go easy on your hair, and the plastic ends keep your hands safe from the heat. A dual voltage power cord lets you curl your hair comfortably from anywhere in the world. The claw clips help keep the curlers in place.
- Good set for traveling or limited space
- The velvety surface is easy to handle
- Great to use when in a hurry
- Curls provide an excellent volume
- Work well on short hair
- Claw clips leave kinks in hair.
- A second set might be necessary to cover your whole head
- Does not come with traditional metal clips
The BaByliss PRO jumbo hair roller set has all that you need to get excellent curls. The 5 rollers have velvet surfaces using color-coded metal clips. The Nano titanium ceramic roller has far-infrared heat to protect your hair, as well as dual voltage for international travel.
It also helps with heat retention, penetrating the hair from within without damaging it. It comes with the usual hair setter trappings, including a light that lets you know when to use the rollers and then turn off the setter.
- Easy to use
- Curls set in 5-10 minutes
- Useful for keeping frizz down
- Don’t get too hot to use
- An indicator light lets you know to turn off the setter
- Does not come with a cubby for the clips
- Wrong size rollers sometimes get shipped out
- It takes a long time (25-30 minutes) to heat up entirely
With 20 rollers in 4 different sizes (4 jumbo, 6 large, 6 medium and 4 small), you can create several sets of beautiful curls. Each roller has ceramic technology, so they heat up fast and evenly. A group of clips matches with each roller to hold your hair comfortably and securely.
The rollers emit ions that protect your hair against frizz and retain heat as they curl. As a bonus, this setter includes a small bottle of Argan oil to help nourish your hair. It also comes with auto shut-off in case you forget to turn the setter off.
- Curls last 2 days
- Work well for longer hair
- Creates soft curls with no frizzy ends
- Heats up evenly for all rollers
- Strong plastic coating protects fingers from heat
- It takes longer than 85 seconds to warm up thoroughly
- Clips can crimp the ends of the hair
- Rearranging the rollers in the case is tricky at first
While some hot rollers try to squeeze in several different sizes, the Remington H9100S only has 2. It includes 12 large and 8 medium rollers (20 in all) to cover your whole head. Plus, the included pins create a secure hold without creasing or wrinkling your hair.
The setter’s vertical design is small enough to save space on your countertop, and it is excellent for travel. The clips and the ceramic rollers heat up at the same time to help retain heat and curl your hair in about 5 minutes.
- LED light indicates when rollers are ready
- The cord can wrap around the bottom of the setter for storage
- Heated clips speed up the curling process and don’t leave creases
- Adds body to finer hair
- Easy to travel with
- Might produce static electricity in some curls
- A new model of large Remington curler sizes doesn’t quite fit
- The setter lid doesn’t lock down
Other hot rollers boast about getting hot in 85 seconds or so, but the Conair Express Curls Ceramic model supposedly heats in faster. For extra curling power, both the clip and the roller heat up to retain the perfect curl. Plus, the ionic port helps promote conditioning and shine in most hair types.
The rollers come from ceramic for better heat retention and hair protection. 8 large, 6 medium, and 6 small rollers make up a set of 20. Plastic ends help protect your fingers from getting burnt.
- Curls last a long time
- Rollers don’t dry out hair
- Easy and safe to handle
- Heats up quickly
- Safe to use on synthetic wigs
- Securing clips don’t hold that well
- Too big for traveling
- The rollers don’t have a place to hold the clips
The Conair Jumbo and Super Jumbo hot rollers have all the typical benefits of Conair products with jumbo and super jumbo sizes. The hot roller heats quickly to create bouncy, wide curls, using an internal aluminum core. The 12 rollers heat evenly and safely transfer heat to hair using a velvety covering. Twelve matching clips help hold the hair in place.
The rollers should work for all types of hair, even long, thick hair. You may need a few extra steps and products to hold the curls in place, but it’s a great place to begin for good volume.
- A good fix for frizzy hair
- Clips do not leave creases in hair
- Metal clips hold hair
- Rollers retain heat for a while
- Excellent for providing volume
- It takes 5-10 minutes to heat up thoroughly
- You have to plug the setter in to turn it on and off
- Be careful about leaving the setter on for too long
Lots of jumbo hot roller packs brag about their small size, and this Remington model is made just for that. The newly designed J-clips hold your hair better and decrease creasing. An ionic center in each roller helps control frizz and static.
The 10-roller set comes with 5 large and 5 medium rollers to create a variety of curls. The compact case is small enough to fit into a drawer or on your bathroom countertop.
- Heat up and work fast
- Rollers heat up evenly
- J-shaped clips work great to hold hair
- Worldwide Voltage, Excellent for international travel
- Does not let you know when it’s too hot
- The vinyl case can overheat
- Not the best for fine hair
We’ve seen a lot of Remington and Conair products on this list, but the John Frieda Body & Shine can hold its own. Its 5 titanium, ceramic-flocked 2-inch jumbo rollers use butterfly clips to hold hair. Each ceramic roller helps control frizz and create shiny curls.
Unlike other models, the John Frieda hair setter has variable temperature control for the best results. A handy storage couch keeps the setter and the clips organized.
- Comes with a pouch for storing the clips
- Flocked rollers are gentle on hair
- Helps make fine hair smooth and voluminous
- Various temperature settings
- Roller clips hold securely
- The low-temperature setting is not that powerful
- Might not have enough rollers for thick hair
- Doesn’t make a big difference in shorter hair
We’ve listed a variety of jumbo hair rollers on this list, but the best one for you depends on your hair type, what kind of curls you would like, and whether you’ll travel a lot. The majority of these should work great for most people, but look around and see what stands out the most to you.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the best jumbo hot rollers for thick hair?
The best jumbo hot rollers for thick hair is the Remington H5670NA Professional Style Jumbo Curl Setter. These heated hair rollers come equipped with four jumbo hair curlers and eight large heated hair rollers. They provide silky curls by reducing the amount of static in the hair and frizz as they are a source of consistent heat with the ceramic lining.
All the rollers have thermal wax cores which retain high amounts of heat and generate long, voluminous curls. For your protection, they also have cool touch ends.
What is the best way to curl hair with hot rollers?
Some tips when using a hot roller set include:
Brushing them out removes definition. Separate them with the fingers.
Light hairspray makes a long lasting curl
Heat protectants reduce split ends and should be applied to the ends of the hair prior to rolling
When rolling the hair, place the rollers near the head. Wrap the hair around the jumbo hot roller from the top to bottom. This provides an even curl rather than having a concentration around the ends. Also, use big hair clips on the outside of the roller to keep them in place. Some pins that come with the set can leave creases in the curls.