When you prepare your things for your trip, the last thing that you would think about would be the travel converter for your hair dryer. If that’s true, it’s about time that you start paying more attention to it, especially if you want your hair to be at its absolute best all the time.
A converter will allow you to use your hair dryer anywhere in the world, even if it’s not dual voltage. In this way, you no longer have to invest in a dual voltage travel hair dryer. However, you should be careful with the converter that you choose.
When you use the wrong adapter, it may cause a short circuit, and you may end up with a damaged and fried hair dryer. You surely don’t want that.
With the best travel converter for hair dryers, you can protect your hair dryer and hotel from unwanted accidents. Most of all, you’re sure that you’ll get the hair of your dreams during your trip.
|Top Top||BESTEK Universal Travel Adapter 220V to 110V Voltage Converter||Editor's Pick||See Price|
|Top Top||Foval International Travel Converter with 4-port USB||Best Converter with 4 Adapters||See Price|
|Top Top||DOACE C11 2000W Travel Voltage Converter for Hair Dryer||Best Versatile Travel Converter||See Price|
|Top Top||HYTED Travel Adapter and Converter Combo||Best Travel Adapter and Converter Combo||See Price|
|Top Top||Simran International Travel Voltage Converter||Best Fuse Protected Converter||See Price|
What to Consider When Buying A Travel Converter for Hair Dryer?
Ready to pick a converter? Here’s what to consider:
Check your hair dryer’s voltage: Look for the voltage range on your hair dryer’s label or manual. If it’s dual voltage (e.g., 110-240V), you’re good to go – you only need a plug adapter. If not, you’ll need a voltage converter.
Know the destination’s voltage: Research the voltage system of the country you’re visiting to find the right converter.
Pick the right wattage: Converters come in different wattages. Make sure the converter’s wattage is higher than your hair dryer’s wattage to avoid any mishaps.
Size and weight: Travel light! Opt for a compact, lightweight converter that won’t hog space in your luggage.
When choosing a travel converter, here are some more considerations you should keep in mind:
- power supply (required voltage) in your destination
- charging speed (the higher the Powder delivery (PD), the faster the charging rate of the hair dryer)
- manufacturer’s warranty (period and coverage)
- size and weight (compact and lightweight)
Now that we’ve got it all figured out, it’s time that we check out some of the travel converter options that we have in the market.
1. BESTEK Universal Travel Adapter 220V to 110V Voltage Converter – Our Top Pick
Considered as a universal travel adapter, the BESTEK travel adapter is developed for worldwide use as it comes with an EU power cable along with 3 international adapters (US plug, UK plug, and AU plug) that support the electrical outlets in over 150 countries. This is an excellent choice for powering up US hair dryers and converting 90 to 220 V and 110 to 120 V.
- Having a dimension of 6 x 3 x 1.57 inches, this travel adapter is incredibly compact.
- Even if it’s compact, the adapter comes with a 5-foot detachable cable for your convenience.
- You can charge up to 7 devices simultaneously – 3 AC socket support and 4 USB charging ports.
- Since it’s NRTL safety tested, the use of this adapter is guaranteed safe.
- It comes with a rotatable plug, which is perfect for AU use.
- The converter has a 92% conversion rate, which is higher than most brands.
- This is not recommended to be used on three-pronged appliances.
- It produces too much noise during operation.
2. Foval International Travel Converter with 4-port USB – Best Converter with 4 Adapters
The Foval International Travel Converted stepped things up a notch as it comes with 1 EU power cable and 4 adapters (US, UK, AU, IT). With the use of this converter, you can use 220 V appliances in countries with 240 V.
- The converter comes with auto-shutdown safety features to prevent electrical surges, short-circuiting, overheating, and many more.
- The company offers 24-hour online customer support.
- It comes with 24 months warranty and a 100% moneyback guarantee.
- This converter uses 200 watts for fast charging.
- It has a silent bearing fan for quiet operation.
- Users say that the included cable doesn’t come with a ground pin.
- The converter started to fail after a few weeks.
3. DOACE C11 2000W Travel Voltage Converter for Hair Dryer– Best Versatile Travel Converter
The DOACE C11 2000W Travel Voltage Converter is probably the most versatile of them all as a travel adapter for 3-prong dual voltage hair dryers and as a converted for 2-prong dual voltage hair dryers. That’s not all. It also has USB ports, so you can also use it to charge USB-powered devices.
- This converter will allow you to charge 4 devices at the same time.
- The product weighs only 0.44 lbs, so it’s lightweight.
- It comes in an eye-catching black color.
- The converter uses a new cooling technique, which is more stable and quieter.
- It comes with a lifetime guarantee.
- The 2-prong converter works only with Conair and BaByliss Pro hair dryers.
- The plugs fall out of the sockets, so you need to find a way to support them.
4. HYTED Travel Adapter and Converter Combo – Best Travel Adapter and Converter Combo
The Hyted Travel Adapter can switch from being an adapter to a converter in just a flip of a switch. With a dimension of 2.4 x 2.2 x 2 inches, this is one of the most compact converters that you can find in the market today.
- It comes with a free travel pouch.
- The device weighs only 0.29 lbs.
- The company claims that its customer support can resolve your problems within 12 hours.
- The converter mode converts 220 to 240V and 110 to 120V, while the adapter mode can be used in countries with 100 to 240V.
- The all-in-one plug adapter fits the different types of electrical outlets in most countries.
- It may not deliver 2000 watts as advertised.
- You can’t simultaneously use this as a converter and adapter.
5. Simran International Travel Voltage Converter – Best Fuse Protected Converter
The Simran International Travel Voltage Converter is not just a regular converter– it’s a step down dual wattage converter. This means that it functions as a transformer on a low setting. On the other hand, it works as a converter on a high setting.
- This is fuse protected for your safety.
- It has a 2-round prong design which is common in both Asian and European countries.
- This can be used for 50 or 1875 watts.
- An additional adapter is needed for certain countries.
- This is only recommended for small devices.
Regarding the best travel converter for a hair dryer, the safer option is always, the better. With that said, our top pick for this list is the BESTEK Universal Travel Adapter because it is NRTL safety tested.
Even though it’s not as compact as the other items on the list, it’s quite versatile as it can power up to 7 devices simultaneously.
Voltage Differences in Different Countries
You see, different countries have different voltage systems. For example, the US and Canada use 110-120 volts, while most of Europe, Asia, and Africa use 220-240 volts.
So, if you’re traveling with your hair dryer, you might run into problems if it’s not compatible with the local voltage.
Types of Travel Converters Available in the Market
To save the day (and your hair), there are travel converters. Here’s what’s out there:
Voltage converters: These little lifesavers change the voltage from one level to another, so your hair dryer doesn’t go poof in a puff of smoke.
Plug adapters: While they don’t convert voltage, plug adapters let you plug your hair dryer into foreign outlets, since the shape of sockets varies across countries.
All-in-one converters: These handy gadgets do it all – they convert voltage and adapt plugs, so you can focus on looking fabulous instead of fiddling with sockets.
Frequently Asked Questions
Hairdryers with a higher wattage should be used on curly or thick hair. It permits more wind power which is needed to style this hair type. It is recommended that you buy a hair dryer with 1800 watts.
You need to know the voltage and plugs used by the country you are traveling to. Converters transform voltage, so an improper adapter can blow your hairdryer.
Since hair dryers are single-voltage devices (as opposed to a dual voltage hairdryer), you will need a voltage converter and a travel adapter.
A plug adapter will allow you to plug it in, but it won’t convert voltage. It needs to match the plug type of the place you are visiting. A voltage converter is necessary if your destination is large than 100-120 volts of electricity.
You should look for a product that has an even heat distribution, and how hot the blow dryer becomes. In most hair dryers, the settings can be adjusted. However, someone with fine hair doesn’t need as much heat as someone with thicker hair.
For normal hair, it should be between 350-400 degrees. For hair that is bleached, damaged, or colored, use a lower heat setting to prevent damage.
Consider a lightweight device as it makes styling easier. It eliminates muscle strain from styling the hair.
Also, consider the type of hair dryer for your specific hair type. Traditional hair dryers are for people who just want to dry their hair.
However, temperature and airflow may be inconsistent. Therefore, they are not designed for hair the is fragile, chemically treated, or fine.
A ceramic hairdryer sense room temperature and adjust to ensure the set temperature is always maintained. It regulates heat distribution throughout the hair and are ideal for all hair types including fragile, fine, color-treated, or permed hair types.
Ionic hair dryers are for people who struggle with frizzy hair or flyaways. They work by breaking down positively charged ions in water while closing the cuticle.
Generally, heat opens cuticles. When this happens, it is prone to frizz and/or damage. These hair dryers use a lower heat setting while providing a smooth look.
Combination ceramic and ionic travel hair dryer give even airflow and heat distribution. They combat frizz and increase hair health.
Your travel dryer should additionally be portable and lightweight. It should easily fold away in your suitcase. There are some that are small, and others that fold in two for easy storage.