Long-haired dog breeds, such as Poodle, Shih Tzu and Afghan Hound, wear their long fur with pride. People choose to raise these kinds of dogs for their luscious locks that can be styled. Plus, their shaggy hair makes them extra fluffy and pettable.
The only downside of raising these dogs is the high level of maintenance they require. You need an appropriate brush for long-haired dogs to keep their fur in top condition and prevent tangles and mats.
To make your search easier, we are reviewing the 10 best hair brushes for dogs with long hair based on price, features, user experience, etc so that you don’t end up buying the wrong dog care brush.
|Top||Hertzko Self Cleaning Slicker Brush||Runner-up||See Price|
|Furminator Undercoat Deshedding Brush||#1 Editor's Choice||See Price|
|Glendan Dog & Cat Brush||Best Overall||See Price|
|DakPets Deshedding Dog Hair Brush||Best for Deshedding||See Price|
|BV2 Sided Bristle Brush||Best Multipurpose Dog Brush||See Price|
|UPSKY Self Cleaning Dog Slicker Brush||Best Budget Dog Brush||See Price|
|RUBOLD Dematting Brush for Dogs||Best Dematting Brush||See Price|
|Li'l Pals Dog Slicker Brush with Coated Pins||Best Brush for Matting & Detangling||See Price|
|Paw Brothers Slicker Dog Grooming Brush||Best Pin Brush||See Price|
|FURminator Firm Grooming Slicker Brush||Best for Curly Hair||See Price|
Best Brushes for Long-Haired Dogs
Long-haired dogs require more maintenance than dogs with short hair, especially if they have undercoats. They need regular washing and brushing to help with detangling and shedding. It’s also essential to use the right brush suitable for your canine’s hair length and coat type to prevent painful pulling and scratching.
Depending on your pet’s coat type, you might also need more than one dog brush. Here are 10 of the best dog brushes to keep your pet’s long hair looking great always.
Considered by many as the best brush for long hair dogs, this slicker brush easily removes stubborn mats and tangles. It can reach deep into your furry pet’s coat and effectively removes any trapped dirt or dead hair. There is no need to worry about hurting your pet since this device uses fine bent wires that don’t scratch the skin.
- Effectively detangles fur
- Can penetrate deep into the coat
- Easy to clean with just a push of a button
- Retractable bristles for easy and safe storage
- Doesn’t scratch the skin
- Comfortable grip and anti-slip handle
- Might be too big for small breeds and puppies
- Not suitable for dogs with thin coats
- Not durable
This FURminator dog brush is a professional-grade grooming tool to help tackle a long-haired canine’s shedding issues. With its stainless steel teeth, the device reaches through the undercoat and removes loose hair without damaging the topcoat. It features a FURejector button, which releases the hair when pressed, making cleaning fast and hassle-free.
- Decreases shedding up to 90%
- Removes undercoat hair without damaging the topcoat
- Ergonomic non-slip handle
- Curved edge which conforms to your pet’s natural shape for comfort
- Features a FURejector button for quick and easy cleaning
- Can also be used to comb out fleas and ticks
- A bit expensive
- Heavy to hold
- Doesn’t hold all the fur
Whether you have big or small dogs, this slicker brush is just the right size to easily remove mats and trapped dirt. It is rotatable and has three modes that you can adjust to comb through even the most narrow areas. You will have optimum control as you groom your pet thanks to its comfort-grip and anti-slip handle.
- Ergonomic handle for extra comfort and control
- Safe and comfortable bristles that won’t scratch sensitive skin
- Includes massaging particles to increase blood circulation
- Leaves fur looking soft and shiny
- Suitable for big and small dog breeds
- Can penetrate the undercoat
- Difficult to clean the hair out
- Might frizz straight long fur
- Weak bristles that bend easily
This deshedding dog brush is developed by pet grooming experts who specialize in animal care. You’re sure to get a high-quality dog brush that delivers exceptional results with every use. And as claimed by the manufacturer, this professional grooming tool can reduce your pet’s shedding by up to 95%.
- Features a 4-inch stainless steel blade that suits all coat lengths
- Suitable for big and small pets
- Rust-resistant blade
- Durable and non-slip handle
- Features a quick-release button for easy blade removal
- Includes a convenient eyelet for easy storage
- Might not be long enough to reach deep into the undercoat
- Doesn’t catch all fur on the blades
- Has fine teeth might scratch sensitive skin
BV’s 2-in-1 detangling and grooming tool is the best brush for long hair dogs. This double-sided multipurpose dog brush features nylon bristles on one side and pins on the other. The bristle brush removes loose hair, tangles, and dirt, while the pin brush massages the skin and releases natural oils.
- Suitable for all breeds and coat types
- Can penetrate the undercoat
- Ergonomic design
- Comfortable and secure to hold
- Makes fur look glossy
- Features a convenient eyelet for easy storage
- Might lose metal pins after a few uses
- Thin bristles that might not be sturdy enough for a thick coat
- A bit difficult to clean
Make detangling sessions comfortable and fun for your pets with this dog slicker brush by UPSKY. Not only does it gently brushes away loose fur, tangles, mats, and dirt, but it also massages your pet. Each glide will help enhance blood circulation for a healthy pup and release natural oils for a shiny-looking coat.
- Suits all dog breeds and hair types
- Fine curved stainless steel bristles that can reach the undercoat
- Features a self-cleaning button which retracts the blade for easy cleaning
- Ergonomic long handle with non-slip texture
- Includes a transparent protective cover for the bristles
- Features a hanging hole for easy storage
- Flimsy bristles that easily bend
- Doesn’t retract fully
- Might be too sharp for sensitive skin
Here’s an all-in-one pet grooming tool to remove undercoat, reduce shedding, and detangle mats. It has nine sharp teeth on one side for tackling mats and tangles, and 17 teeth on the other side for removing loose and dead undercoats. The 17+9 round-ended stainless steel teeth glide through the undercoat without scratching the skin or pulling the hair.
- Safe and gentle grooming tool for sensitive skin
- Works well for dogs with coarse, curly, wiry, long, or thick coats
- Extra-wide head for faster grooming
- Ergonomic handle
- Makes the fur soft, smooth, and shiny
- Easy to clean
- Might break after several uses
- Not recommended for dogs with no undercoat
- Doesn’t hold the fur
Puppies and toy breeds also deserve the best grooming tool that’s suitable for their size. This slicker brush by Li’l Pals gently removes tangles, mats, and loose hair from your tiny dog. It has coated flexible wire pins that distribute natural oils on their skin, making fur look shiny and healthy.
- Perfect proportions for tiny dogs
- Comfortable grip handle
- Contours to your pet’s body for efficient grooming
- Gentle on a dog’s skin and hair
- Massages the dog
- Can reach the undercoat
- Extremely short handle
- Flimsy and weak pins
- Might pull hair between the coated tips
Paw Brother’s professional slicker brush is suitable for medium to large dog breeds with long thick, or double-coated fur. It has extra-long stainless steel pins that can penetrate deep into the coat of your canine. Unlike other grooming brushes, the rounded corners of this brush won’t catch your dog’s fur.
- Extra-long pins
- Large size perfect for giant dog breeds
- Can reach deep into the undercoat
- Won’t catch your dog’s fur
- Comfortable and non-slip handle
- Suitable for dogs with thick or double undercoat
- Hard to clean
- Hard bristles
- Might scratch skin
Unlike the other FURminator product listed above, this tool is a double-sided slicker brush that tackles stubborn mats and tangles. One side has bent bristles to reach the undercoat, break up mats and knots, and pull the loose fur. The other side features straight pins that you can use to finish the coat and make it look smooth and shiny.
- Suitable for dogs with medium, long, and curly coats
- Detangles without pulling
- Follows the natural contour of your pet’s body
- Ergonomic handle
- Durable stainless steel bristles
- Antimicrobial plastic
- Not easy to clean
- Rough and sharp bristles
Long-haired dogs require a higher level of maintenance than short-haired canines. These breeds are more challenging to groom due to their fur length.
Moreover, some long-haired dog breeds have an undercoat. While each long-haired dog breed has varying hair length and coat type, these dogs generally struggle with mats and tangles and seasonal shedding.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. The best dog brush for your dog?
Ans. When determining what brush will work best on your dog, you need to look at the dog’s hair length and your pet’s coat. The spacing, size, hair length, and bristle brush stiffness determine which dog will use which grooming tool.
Close, short bristles are for a short-haired dog, while longer bristles work better on a long-haired dog. For a wiry coat, select stiffer bristles.
Q2. What type of dog brush for long hair?
Ans. The best dog hairbrush for long hair is the Hartz Groomer’s Best Combo Detangling Dog Brush. It has two different sides. One comes equipped with stainless steel pins and round tips.
This is a great de-shedding brush and eliminates mats/tangles from your dog’s fur. The other side contains nylon bristles that distribute natural oils down your dog’s fur adding moisture to their coat.
Q3. Which vacuum is best for dog hair?
Ans. Shark Ninja has the best canister vacuum to handle dog hair. It has a 3-in-1 technology with a deep cleaning feature. This vacuum effectively removes pet hair and comes with HEPA filtration.
It also has a hard floor attachment to clean hardwood or laminate flooring with a pad that is washable. Also, it is easy to use with its fingertip controls.
If you’re looking for the best investment for your dogs with long hair that sheds heavily, the FURminator Undercoat Deshedding brush is an excellent option. It has an ejector button, so the grooming session is quick and easy, even with a canine that loves to move a lot.
On the other hand, if you’re looking for a tool that specifically tackles mats and tangles, the BV 2 Sided Bristle Brush is perfect for all coat length and type.
However, if you want a cheaper option for both detangling and deshedding single and double-coated dogs, the UPSKY’s Dog Slicker Brush is your best bet.