If you’re looking for a new flat iron for your damaged hair, you’re probably well aware of the fact that your options can be more than a little overwhelming.
A flat iron is a pretty simple device at its core, two flat plates designed to heat up and clamp down on your hair, flattening it out and making it silky and smooth.
Yet, despite its simplicity, there seems to be an endless number of different ones on the market, all promising the best looking, flattest hair possible. Upon first inspection, flat irons all appear to accomplish the same thing, whether they are $20 or $200. But looks can be deceiving, and the type of flat iron you get is going to depend on your hair.
To top it all off, there is a common misconception that if your hair is damaged from, say, the sun or using heat to style it, then you are out of luck as far as flattening it is concerned.
Instead, you should let the damaged hair grow out. The good thing is you don’t have to wait. You can still style your hair with a flat iron when you use the best flat iron for damaged hair.
With that said, certain flat irons work better for damaged hair. To help you sort it all out, we’ve put together our top ten picks for the best flat irons for damaged hair.
|CHI G2 Ceramic Titanium Flat Iron
|BaBylissPro Nano-Titanium Straightening Iron
|Paul Mitchell Pro Tools Express
|Conair Tourmaline Infiniti Pro
|Nition Pro Hair Straightener
|Best Bang for Your Buck
|Bio Ionic Onepass Styling Iron
|Furiden Professional Hair Straightener
|Runner-Up Best Budget
|HSI Professional Glider Flat Iron
|Best Low Temp Straightener
|MONDAVA Professional Ceramic Tourmaline Hair Straightener Flat Iron and Curler
|Hair Straightener and Curler
Best Flat Iron for Damaged Hair
1. CHI G2 Ceramic Titanium Flat Iron – Best Overall
CHI has a world-renowned reputation for creating some of the best flat irons on the market. Not many companies these days specialize in a single product, but that is exactly what CHI does. They make flat irons, and the G2 is the perfect example of a company that does one thing well.
The G2 has a sleek design that features titanium-infused ceramic heating plates. While many similar flat irons have ceramic-only coated plates, the infusion of titanium flakes in the G2 helps the iron flow smoothly through your hair without worrying about dry, frizzy hair getting caught.
The G2 also features an adjustable temperature setting with a color-coordinated LED display, making it easy to achieve the proper temp while protecting it from further damage.
- Adjustable temperature setting
- High-grade ceramic provides even heat distribution
- Infused titanium provides smooth glide action
- Automatic shutoff
- Dual voltage
- 2-year warranty
- Lowest temp setting may be a little too high
- Cord is not easy to manage and gets tangled
2. BaBylissPro Nano-Titanium Straightening Iron – Runner Up
The BaByliss Pro is a streamlined flat iron that uses ionic technology to create silky-smooth flat hair without damage. Not only does it prevent damage to your hair, but by producing negatively charged ions, it also helps to repair hair that is already damaged. The Babyliss Pro is available in multiple size configurations to suit anyone’s needs.
The BaByliss Pro hair tool uses high-quality nano titanium plates to evenly displace heat without dead spots, even at the highest heat, while resisting corrosion. The adjustable temperature settings give a large range of temperatures from 300°F to 475°F, making it work perfectly with any hair type.
The housing is heat resistant, making it easy and safe to use, and the ion technology emits natural ions that help to tame unruly, damaged hair.
- High-quality titanium plates
- Fifty heat settings
- Heat resistant housing
- Heats almost instantly
- Higher price
- Widest version may be too wide
- Plug does not fit in outlet well
3. Paul Mitchell Pro Tools Express – Best Travel
The Paul Mitchell Pro Tools Express flat iron heat styling hair tool uses advanced far-infrared technology that locks in moisture to help keep hair healthy and repair existing damage. The negative ions produced by this flat iron neutralize the positive ions that occur in damaged hair and leaves it silky smooth.
The Paul Mitchell Pro Tools Express features a large digital display that makes setting the iron to the right temperature easy and the adjustable heat setting range makes it versatile for any hair type, even if it is damaged.
The floating ceramic plates displace heat evenly for uniform flattening. This flat iron is also worry-free with its automatic shut-off and travel-friendly with a dual voltage option for worldwide use.
- Even heat distribution
- Large digital display
- Fully adjustable temperature control
- Automatic shutoff
- Moisture locking far infrared technology
- Edges and tip of iron get very hot
- Larger gap between plates can mean multiple passes to get hair straight
4. Rusk Engineering Heat Freak – Most Durable
- Straightens hair quickly and easily with instant and precise heat up to 450 degrees
- Eliminates static and frizz
- For clients with hair of any length who want to eliminate frizz, curls, cowlicks or kinks
- Leaves hair straight, smooth and in optimal condition
The Rusk Engineering Heat Freak is a salon-quality flat iron that uses far infrared technology to deeply penetrate the hair and lock in moisture, providing a frizz-free shine while repairing damaged hair. With a narrow, sleek design, this flat iron delivers a professional look with ease from the comfort of your own home.
The adjustable heat settings with temperatures as low as 300°F on the Heat Freak offers a wide range of temperatures without sacrificing the ease of operation or the quality of the finished smooth hair. The wider plates mean fewer passes, and the tourmaline-infused ceramic helps the iron to glide smoothly and not catch and pull the damaged, frizzy hair.
- Available 1” and 1 ½” plate sizes
- Adjustable temperature settings
- Tourmaline infused ceramic plates
- Extra-long tangle-free cord
- 2-year warranty
- No automatic shut off
- Higher price compared to similar flat irons
5. Conair Tourmaline Infiniti Pro – Best Budget
The Conair Infiniti Pro is a budget-friendly flat iron that provides salon-quality hair at a price far less than many of its professional style counterparts. The ultra-narrow and extra-long ceramic tourmaline plates heat up quickly and provide the right coverage for fast professional-looking smooth hair.
The Infiniti Pro has all of the great features you would expect from a much more expensive flat iron. The ceramic tourmaline plates are narrow yet long and provide the right amount of coverage for quick and easy use.
This flat iron heats to temperature and is ready to use in less than 15 seconds, and with 30 different heat settings, there is the right temperature for any hair texture.
- 30 temperature settings
- Heats quickly
- Narrow plates are easy to use
- Long plates provide the proper coverage
- Salon quality at a low price
- Automatic shut-off
- Sides and tip get very hot
- No LED display
- Does not lock in a closed position
6. Nition Pro Hair Straightener – Best Bang for Your Buck
The Nition Pro Hair Straightener is a compact flat iron that packs many features into a small package that possibly gives you the most bang for your buck of any flat iron on this list. This flat iron is easy and practical to use and has a modern, sleek design that separates itself from most flat irons.
While most flat irons infuse either titanium or tourmaline with ceramic, the Nition Pro Hair Straightener goes above and beyond. It boasts a 5-in-1 straightening plate with a ceramic core infused with both titanium and tourmaline, as well as silver that is all coated in a thin layer of argan oil.
The combination results in a flat iron that not only works well on damaged hair but does more than most others to repair that damaged hair.
This flat iron also features a handle that wakes up the iron when twisted, after which you can adjust the temperature to suit any hair type, reaching that temperature faster than most in under 10 seconds.
- Easy buttonless operation
- 6 different temperature settings
- Extra-long heating plates
- 60-minute auto-shutoff
- 5-in-1 infused plates for the best of all worlds
- Dual voltage compatible
- Stylish looks
- Unit can get very hot to touch
- Exposed sides may cause burns if not used properly
- The temperature gauge can be finicky at times
7. Bio Ionic Onepass Styling Iron – Best Coverage
Bio Ionic has recently re-designed the Onepass Styling Iron to now feature patented silicon strips that grip the hair and keep it in place, while moisturizing heat provides sleek, healthy hairstyles with no fuss. The Onepass uses patented Nanionic technology, infusing moisture, repairing damaged hair, and preventing further damage.
The Onepass has all of the features you would expect from a salon-grade flat iron, including adjustable temperature settings, automatic shut-off, and dual voltage compatibility. There are, however, a couple of features that help separate this flat iron from others on this list.
Bio Ionic has powered the Onepass with its trademarked NanoIonic technology that uses a mix of natural minerals to infuse moisture into the hair while straightening, preventing damage, and slowly repairing already occurring heat damage.
Their patented silicon strips grip hair tightly while preventing them from coming into direct contact with the hot plates and, in turn, preventing damage to the hair.
- Quickly heats to operating temperature
- Adjustable temperature settings
- Automatic shut off
- True one pass straightening
- Rotating tangle-free cord
- Easy styling silicon strips
- High Price
- Cord can stop working
8. Furiden Professional Hair Straightener – Runner-Up Best Budget
Furiden has a strong reputation for creating quality hair products for professional salon workers. They have taken that reputation and built an affordable flat iron for the average consumer.
But creating an affordable option doesn’t mean that they have sacrificed any of the high quality they are known for. This energy-efficient flat iron is both easy to use and stylish.
The Furiden Professional Hair Straightener has all of the same features that their salon-quality flat irons do at a fraction of professional cost. One turn off the handle and the iron is on and ready to set to any temperature you desire, perfect for any hair type.
The tourmaline-infused ceramic plates offer a smooth glide, helping control damaged hair, resulting in a salon-quality look. The flat iron is quick to heat up, making it not just convenient but energy efficient as well. The rotating swivel cord means that you can use the iron can at any angle to avoid any tearing hair in the process.
- Salon quality at an affordable price
- Energy efficient
- Curved edges help avoid catching hair
- Extra-long cord
- Quick heating reduces time spent styling
- 30-minute automatic shut off
- Short, narrow plates mean multiple passes to get all hair
- Smooth surface can get slippery and hard to hold onto
9. HSI Professional Glider Flat Iron – Best Low Temp Straightener
The Professional Glider is another flat iron that offers professional quality iron at an affordable price. This hard plastic shelled iron has all of the great features you would expect from professional-grade hair tools, with one big difference. The HSI Professional Glider uses microsensors that no other flat iron uses to regulate temperature and ensure even heat.
The HSI flat iron uses eight strategically placed microsensors to create uniform heat through its tourmaline-infused ceramic plates. They pride themselves on being the only flat iron on the market to use this technology.
While many flat irons on the market need continuous adjustment in the temperature to keep the heat uniform, the use of these sensors makes this iron worry-free. Simply turn it on and set it to the right temperature, and you are good to go.
The tourmaline is sprinkled into the ceramic plates as they are baking during the manufacturing process and are used to protect your hair while you straighten it. The HSI Professional Gliders also features one of the lowest temperature settings of any flat iron at 140°F, so you can start at any temperature you like and work your way up if need be.
- Microsensors provide uniform heat
- Multiple temperature settings
- Low temp set seldom seen in other flat irons
- Limited 1-year warranty
- Narrow plate for any hair length
- Plates come treated with Argan Oil
- Does not have a temperature display screen
- No automatic shut off
- Leaves behind oil in hair
10. Mondava Professional Hair Straightener – Hair Straightener and Curler
The Mondava Professional Hair Straightener claims to be the secret to sexy, smooth, and shiny hair. With its Ceramic Tourmaline Technology, the flat iron can help transform your frizzy to fabulous hair in just 8 minutes.
In addition to the ceramic tourmaline technology, the styling iron is also equipped with the latest ion pulse vibration technology which infuses your hair with up to 3 million negative ions for every minute of use. These ions ensure that your hair is shiny from the outside and well-hydrated from the inside.
- Compact and portable 1-inch ceramic plates
- Best digital temperature accuracy
- Lots of accessories including hair clips, heat-resistant glove, and even a storage bag
- Awkward button placement
- Cheap plug quality