If you want to embrace your Afro-American hair but can’t find ways to manage it, a texturizer may work well for you! You see, texturizers are a milder form of relaxer which is used only to loosen or relax your curls and not completely straighten them.
With all the bells and whistles that texturizing products have nowadays, it can be quite challenging to find the best texturizer for black hair. This is most especially true if your goal is not just to tame your curls but to keep your hair shiny as well.
Add the fact that there are texturizers that contain harmful chemicals that can damage your glorious locks, and it will undoubtedly be a big challenge. Fortunately, we’re here to help you out!
|Top||Aunt Jackie’s Curl La La Lightweight Curl Defining Custard||#1 Editor's Choice||See Price|
|Top||Carol’s Daughter Black Vanilla Moisture & Shine Edge Control Smoother||Best for Dry Hair||See Price|
|Top||tgin Honey Curls Custard For Natural Hair||Best Overall||See Price|
|Top||Design Essentials Natural Almond & Avocado Curl Stretching Cream||Best for Moisturizing||See Price|
|Top||Beauty By Earth’s Sea Salt Texturizing Hair Spray||Runner-up||See Price|
|Top||SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curly Hair Smoothie||Best for Frizzy Hair||See Price|
|Top||Beautiful Textures Naturally Straight Texturizer Kit||Best for Detangling||See Price|
|Top||Texture My Way Keep It Curly Ultra Defining Curl Pudding||Best for Conditioning||See Price|
Best Texturizers for Black Hair
We’ve rounded up some of the best texturizers for black hair. You can find them below, along with their pros, cons, and benefits. Keep on reading to find the right product for you!
1. Aunt Jackie’s Curl La La Lightweight Curl Defining Custard – Our Top Pick
The Aunt Jackie’s Curl La La La Curl Defining Custard is designed to help you kiss tamed and frizzy hair goodbye! This texturizer is packed with humectants that can give long-lasting shine and bounce to your curls.
The product is highly recommended for all curls, scrunchy and tight, elongated curls, coils, twists, and braid-outs.
- The texturizer feels lightweight and doesn’t leave hair greasy.
- This is free of parabens, mineral oil, petroleum, and sulfates.
- It has a sweet scent that most people love.
- It contains alcohol.
- The cream tends to leave white particles on the hair.
If Aunt Jackie has a candidate on this list, we also have a place for Carol’s Daughter! Formulated dull, dry, and brittle hair, this smoother promises to leave your hair soft, moisturized, and manageable.
This is because it’s formulated with all the ingredients that your hair craves—aloe vera, shea butter, and sweet almond oil.
- The smoother applies dry and not wet.
- It doesn’t contain artificial colors, petroleum, parabens, and mineral oils.
- It contains nourishing and moisturizing ingredients like rosemary, aloe vera, and nettle extract.
- The product also has honey, which seals in split ends.
- It doesn’t have a great hold.
- It’s a bit expensive.
The tgin Honey Curls Custard for Natural Hair is perfect for thick, coarse, tightly coiled, and low porosity hair. This product delivers a frizz-free long-lasting hold to achieve more defined curls. It also boosts hair shine and moisture.
- It can help maintain a hairstyle even in extreme weather conditions.
- This can be applied on dry and wet hair.
- It’s formulated for low porosity hair.
- The smell is lovely.
- Some people claim this made their hair brittle.
- It also leaves hair sticky.
The Design Essential Curl Stretching Cream harnesses the moisturizing power of avocado and almond oil’s nourishing benefits. Together, these two ingredients can make your hair stronger, healthy, and shiny. It’s recommended for 3A to 4C hair types.
- This crème can add definition to textured hair.
- It also defines and elongates curls.
- The cream doesn’t contain silicone.
- It’s also cruelty-free.
- You need to use a lot to achieve the desired results.
- It may not be that effective in reducing hair frizz.
Sea salt sprays have been quite popular in achieving beach waves and adding texture to the hair.
This one from Beauty by Earth offers an excellent and light hold that can add body and reduce frizz. With this, you don’t have to go to the beach to achieve beach waves hairstyle.
- It’s infused with organic ingredients like aloe, raspberry, green tea, and algae.
- This smells amazing.
- It’s free of toxic chemicals.
- It comes in a spray pump for easy dispensing.
- It may make your hair feel a bit rough.
- It’s not recommended for thick hair.
Claiming to be the number one product for thick and curly hair, the SHeaMoisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie contains neem oil and silk proteins that deliver bouncy and shiny curls. It has nourishing coconut oil and moisturizing the hibiscus flower.
- It has coconut oil, which can hydrate and protect the hair.
- Another ingredient is Hibiscus Flower Oil, which acts as an emollient that effectively treats dry and damaged hair.
- This product is sustainably produced, ethically traded, and cruelty-free.
- It’s also free of the harmful chemicals you would commonly found in other hair products.
- The product has a sweet scent.
- This is not recommended for fine and tight curls.
- It contains only a small amount of product.
The Beautiful Textures Naturally Straight texturizer Kit is like a standard kit because it would take four steps to help you achieve the hair that you want.
After using it, you can enjoy the results for up to 6 weeks. It contains natural butters, amino acids, and essential oils.
- It can fight humidity and eliminate frizz.
- It can straighten your hair.
- This works well on kinky, transitioning, curly, and relaxed hair.
- It’s affordable.
- This works more as a relaxer than a texturizer.
- The process involves four steps.
Do you have mixed-textured hair? If so, this Texture My Way Ultra Defining Curl Pudding is one product that can help you to style your hair quickly.
It contains essential oils such as soybean, carrot seed, olive fruit, and shea butter that can nourish and moisturize hair.
- It’s designed for creating firmer hairstyles.
- The pudding can boost hair shine.
- It’s affordable.
- The ingredients rejuvenate the hair.
- The product leaves residue in the hair.
- It may dry out the hair.
You see, there are plenty of great texturizers for black hair. The 8 products that we’ve mentioned are some of the best texturizers for black hair in the market today. Even if we’ve narrowed down the selection to only 8 products, we’re aware that it’s still difficult to choose which one you should use.
For us, the best option for this roundup is Aunt Jackie’s Curl La La Lightweight Curl Defining Custard because it doesn’t leave hair greasy and is useful in defining curls.